• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some help.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Never been interested in handguns before but for some reason getting the hankering for one to shoot at the meets. What I don't know is anything about them. What is the most accurate, most reliable one.

Had to carry and qualify with one for 27 years. So I know about them. But as Quigley said "Never said I didn't know how to use one".

Now for the advise. What pistol is the most accurate? Is it the Ruger Old Army, T.C. Patriot, The Pedrosoli, Hege-Siber or is there something else out there I should know about? Thanks for your imput.

Jerry

It's a very hard question to answer, which one feels the best in your hand, which one has the best trigger, it varies even with two of the same make. Also, with any shooting sport your ability with any gun especially shooting off hand is a 'perishable commodity', in short, you don't use it, you lose it, and in hand gun shooting, that is even more critical, practice, practice, practice.
ask guys that have them if you could hold it, get a feel for it, gun stores that have a variety of black powder guns, there is a big difference between an Old Army, and a T.C. Patriot. It is fun though. Good luck!!!!!
Robby

Never been interested in handguns before but for some reason getting the hankering for one to shoot at the meets. What I don't know is anything about them. What is the most accurate, most reliable one.

Had to carry and qualify with one for 27 years. So I know about them. But as Quigley said "Never said I didn't know how to use one".

Now for the advise. What pistol is the most accurate? Is it the Ruger Old Army, T.C. Patriot, The Pedrosoli, Hege-Siber or is there something else out there I should know about? Thanks for your imput.

Jerry
I think Jerry that you should first think about what you really want, do you just want to shoot accurate pistols in competition, or do you just want to have fun trying to hit the target with a traditional pistol?

For myself I have never been interested in competitive sports, I used to shoot at the range because I enjoyed seeing what I could accomplish. Sometimes I won a competition, other times I did not, & it did not matter either way to me. I get more satisfaction out of using a gun that is period correct & not built for competition. Also I like to carry that period correct pistol when trekking & camping. For me a smoothbore pistol is far more practicle & more versatile for carrying in the bush than a rifled pistol.
Keith.
Pistol-video-REDUCED-SMALLER.jpg

My .70 caliber smoothbore cannon barreled flintlock pistol.

It's hard to beat a single shot for accuracy as long as the grip has good ergonomics and fits the shooter's hand.
Cherry's Fine Guns has a lot of capable Pedersoli target pistols, but how does a person decide which is the best for them?
Perhaps you want a custom built pistol?
A lot of guys can shoot the Rogers & Spencer well, but then it's not in the same class as a single shot competition pistol.

The single shots definitely have the edge as far as accuracy. You don't have 6 different cylinders with sometimes minor differences in machine tolerances/alignment, etc...
I have played with a lot of different handguns over the years, and shoot competition regularly. I have a few custom handguns that do well, but some of the new Pedersoli pistols will hold their own. I have a Tennessee from Pedersoli that gets regular usage in matches and does quite well, but I recently bought one of their Charles Moore models that I am going to try out soon. Just been too busy and the weather has been a problem to get out. The Charles Moore is easier to remove the barrel for cleaning, and has a set trigger whereas the Tennessee is just a regular trigger.
Lots of options out there, but the single shot is the best choice as far as accuracy. The Patriot was a nice pistol, but parts are no longer available and they did have a weak spot with the wood cracking on a bunch of them.

The secret to accuracy can be summed up in practice. Knowing your gun and confidence in your ability will optimize accuracy. Fit of the gun to you and a barrel properly fit to the stock along with a tuned lock and a smooth trigger is the starting point. Sounds more like a single shot pistol.

The Gun Works offers a custom "English pistol" made with American parts in a variety of calibers, .32, .36, .40, .45 & .50.
Not sure if it has a target trigger or not but would need to ask.
It may also need to be custom built:--->>> http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=121&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

In 2017 Pedersoli came out with a more affordable entry level .45 Continental Target Pistol:--->>> https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/new-2017-pedersoli-continental-target.106825/

There's also the Chiappa LePage .45:--->>> https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id/247/product/Napoleon-Le-Page-Percussion-Pistol.php
The gun with shooting kit are available on Guns International for $649:--->>> https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-45-cal-10-quot--940-036.cfm?gun_id=101111972

Seller:
Elk County Ammo and Arms
Pennsylvania
Phone:
(814) 834-9451

Last edited:
In your opening post the Ruger Old Army was mentioned. Are you in the market for a pistol or a Revolver?

The Hege version of the Remington New Model Army of 1858 has sights that permit it to be used in competitions internationally. Unless you have the Vaquero version of the ROA, you will not be able to shoot it in competitions. There are a few modern replications of the Remington that are decidedly up-market from the ROA, and have the added attraction that, unlike the ROA, spares are readily available. The Hege Remington is around $1400 or so.

The most accurate is always the one that you can shoot the best.
I can out shoot my buddy with his own gun and another friend of mine can out shoot me with mine. Yet I can beat both of them with one of my guns.
My long pistols clearly out shoot my revolvers, but it took me some time to become proficient with them.
I'd buy the one you're comfortable with.

Your best bet is to research what USIMLT and MLAIC medalists are using.
And watch some videos of them shooting the pistols. Take note of their hand size compared to yours if possible. Are they big ol boys, or a short small framed man with small hands? Different strokes for different folks. If you see one you like, that looks like it would be a good fit for your hands, go find one you can handle.
If money is no object, go to a competition shoot. Ask if you can handle a gun you are interested in. Most enthusiasts are eager to share their love of a favorite piece, and answer any questions you have about maintaining accuracy, best loads, tips and tricks.
Pedersoli’s web site lists guns that have won in International compatition. They are making some world class guns these days.
Good luck. Keep us updated. I envey your skill level. I have never been truly competitive with the top shooters in any shooting sport. I have a nephew who is the firearms instructor for Indiana Police Acadamy. He was a natural. I knew it the first time I taught him to shoot a pellet gun. I like to tell people I taught him everything he knows! :D

Most of us will offer someone a chance to shoot our muzzleloading hand guns when we are at the range. I would also suggest you do what we often suggest about long guns. Try to handle a few and if possible shoot them to see what you like. I really enjoy shooting revolvers, but agree with most that for absolute accuracy a single shot may be better.

Kinda cheap for startin out so ... i would suggest gettin a couple kinds of guns, a revolver and a kit single shot to start with. This is an easy way to get yore feet wet and figure out what appeals to you.

I think Jerry that you should first think about what you really want, do you just want to shoot accurate pistols in competition, or do you just want to have fun trying to hit the target with a traditional pistol?

For myself I have never been interested in competitive sports, I used to shoot at the range because I enjoyed seeing what I could accomplish. Sometimes I won a competition, other times I did not, & it did not matter either way to me. I get more satisfaction out of using a gun that is period correct & not built for competition. Also I like to carry that period correct pistol when trekking & camping. For me a smoothbore pistol is far more practicle & more versatile for carrying in the bush than a rifled pistol.
Keith.
Pistol-video-REDUCED-SMALLER.jpg

My .70 caliber smoothbore cannon barreled flintlock pistol.
Is that a brass barrel Queen Ann’s? That is a hand canon!

Jerry

If you are looking for accuracy I would recomend a single shot pistol rather than a revolver. The cutoff dates for some matches and rendezvous may not allow a revolver they generally require more work to make them accurate and dependable. I would have to recomend a pistol from The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium (http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm). These are hand built using quality components and are reasonably priced. The lead time to have one built is about 6 months but you can usually buy a "used" one directly.

Custom pistol: http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Pistols&SubCat2ID=5&do=list&Cat1Name=Custom

"used" pistol: http://www.thegunworks.com/custprod...bCat2ID=233&do=list&Cat1Name=Used Custom Guns

The "used" pistols by Mark Horvat & Hollie Wessel seem to be unfired and are built exactly like the custom ones they offer. I bought a .45 "used" pistol by Horvat for my wife for Christmas and it is unused, never had a flint in it that I can tell. The quality is very good, holds nice, and I have every reason to believe it will be extremely accurate. On top of all that Susie and her husband are the nicest and most honest people I have ever dealt with. A great pistol to begin with and I believe you would never have to upgrade.

I thought the 2 links above would take you directly to the pages but they don't. From their home page click on Custom & Production Guns then Custom, Pistols or Custom & Production Guns then Used Custom Guns, Pistols.

Back