• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED HELP!!! Need some help guys.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey y'all:
I'm in a bind and I need some screws. I've looked everywhere and can't find exactly what I need? I've contacted a few Fleabay suppliers and they can't help.
I need (6) very small solid brass self-tapping pan head screws with slot heads, about 3/16" long X 1/16" dia. or close. I'm going through some very thin Brass tubing so tapping is out. I don't think I could even get a full thread in the wall? I thought about a small wire rivet, but there's no way to get to the inside of the tube to peen it without damaging the internal threads? For whatever reason, I need the screws.
I'm doing a period repair job and I need to stay PC, so slot head is a must! I can find S/S and brass Phillips heads up the butt, but No slot heads?
I know (6) is a small quantity for most companies, but this is a one time job....hopefully, so I don't want 500 of them.
Thank you for anything you can tell me. I've tried ALL the normally searched companies, Fleabay, Amazon, Walmart, Fastenal, Grainger, etc., etc. Even a few places I'm half afraid to deal with, like Alibaba??
God bless:
Two Feathers

Hello Two Feathers! I've had pretty decent luck with this site before: RTBS03 - #00 x 3/16 - Round Head Self Tapping Screws - Brass - Micro Fasteners These particular screws are 3/16" long and size #00 which equals 1/16" diameter, they are brass and are slotted pan head, hopefully these might help you? Oh and they are 50ea. to the bag, so you won't have 5000 of them rolling around when the job is complete. Best of luck!

Hey y'all:
I'm in a bind and I need some screws. I've looked everywhere and can't find exactly what I need? I've contacted a few Fleabay suppliers and they can't help.
I need (6) very small solid brass self-tapping pan head screws with slot heads, about 3/16" long X 1/16" dia. or close. I'm going through some very thin Brass tubing so tapping is out. I don't think I could even get a full thread in the wall? I thought about a small wire rivet, but there's no way to get to the inside of the tube to peen it without damaging the internal threads? For whatever reason, I need the screws.
I'm doing a period repair job and I need to stay PC, so slot head is a must! I can find S/S and brass Phillips heads up the butt, but No slot heads?
I know (6) is a small quantity for most companies, but this is a one time job....hopefully, so I don't want 500 of them.
Thank you for anything you can tell me. I've tried ALL the normally searched companies, Fleabay, Amazon, Walmart, Fastenal, Grainger, etc., etc. Even a few places I'm half afraid to deal with, like Alibaba??
God bless:
Two Feathers
I have never heard of self tapping brass screws? brass isn't hard enought to make a self tapping screw?

I hear you on the trouble of getting any good 'slotted' oval hear or round head screws from any local hardware store nowadays! I just had to place an order for $45 worth of slotted screws from:
https://blacksmithbolt.com/
All the hardware stores carry nowadays are either a Phillips drive or are of stainless steel!

I have never heard of self tapping brass screws? brass isn't hard enought to make a self tapping screw?
LME:
Thank you. Now I see the oxymoron aspect of what I asked for and I never looked at it like that. I can get S/S of Zinc junk up the wahzoo, but those are not what I need. I guess any small brass full thread screw with a slot head will work? It's more the slot, the Brass and the size that are the issues? I can't use a shouldered screw due to the unthreaded shoulder portion, it wouldn't tighten up. Thank you for your time.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I hear you on the trouble of getting any good 'slotted' oval hear or round head screws from any local hardware store nowadays! I just had to place an order for $45 worth of slotted screws from:
https://blacksmithbolt.com/
All the hardware stores carry nowadays are either a Phillips drive or are of stainless steel!
Flint 625Smoothie:
Thank you for your time. Yep, it's causing me to tear out my hair!!
What I need is a full thread, pan or button head solid brass slot head screw. NONE to be found anywhere. I can get all the shouldered wood screws I could ever want, but they won't work! I checked out your link...no success there either? Tons of what I can't use.:~))))
God bless:
Two Feathers

Not entirely true. They also have a good supply of torx head and square drives, all in different colors, shapes, and sizes. Plain old slotted head screws, and especially oval head slotted, are going the way of us old guys who need them. Log Cabin Shop has a good selection of steel but I don't know about brass. Give them a call.

LME:
Thank you. Now I see the oxymoron aspect of what I asked for and I never looked at it like that. I can get S/S of Zinc junk up the wahzoo, but those are not what I need. I guess any small brass full thread screw with a slot head will work? It's more the slot, the Brass and the size that are the issues? I can't use a shouldered screw due to the unthreaded shoulder portion, it wouldn't tighten up. Thank you for your time.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Cut your threads with something harder then brass then replace that screw with the brass screw.

Recently did a search though my brass screw ‘inventory’ for a different screw, and I know I have some brass 8-32 slotted pan head screws, maybe a bit over 9/32” overall length. Head is probably 5/16” diameter. Not what you asked for, but what I’ve got.

Not entirely true. They also have a good supply of torx head and square drives, all in different colors, shapes, and sizes. Plain old slotted head screws, and especially oval head slotted, are going the way of us old guys who need them. Log Cabin Shop has a good selection of steel but I don't know about brass. Give them a call.
The Crisco Kid:
Thanks, but mox nix. Square drive, Torx drive, Spline drive it matters not, none of those will work.
Thanks for the Log Cabin Shop idea though
Cut your threads with something harder then brass then replace that screw with the brass screw.
Capnball:
There is no screw to "replace". The brass tube is only .026" thick, not enough thickness to tap and get a full thread? I had though about using one of my 4-40 taps and getting some 4-40 brass machine screws, but here again NOT enough "meat" to catch a full thread? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a machinist by trade.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Teo feathers ck with StewMac musical company. I've got 3 brass small but don't know if the are 1/16.i think they are. And they ate for a taol place on a mandolin.
I'm sure stew mac would have them

Hey y'all:
God bless:
Two Feathers

How ya doin Two Feathers: An idea that ha bailed me out on a few of these occasions is looking up and checking out a lamp shop that remakes old style lamps but also carries door hinge /glass knobbed door screws, that's where I found some that worked for me. I also live in a pre 1900 house that I brought back to her period beauty.

To make the screw hold in the tube, drill a teensy pilot hole with a teensy bit from a torch cleaning kit, then dimple it inward like a funnel with a sharp scribe. Keep drawing it deeper and larger until the screw will just start and then push/turn the screw to make threads. Dimpling the hole will make the screw form 2 or maybe 3 threads instead of one.

How ya doin Two Feathers: An idea that ha bailed me out on a few of these occasions is looking up and checking out a lamp shop that remakes old style lamps but also carries door hinge /glass knobbed door screws, that's where I found some that worked for me. I also live in a pre 1900 house that I brought back to her period beauty.
Rob Tom:
Me too. My place was built in 1890.:~(((( I just threw away about 50 pounds of old White Porcelain door knobs, Locks and a manure load of hinges. My wife wants to sell the place and I was forced to evacuate my entire basement. I threw away machines, hand tools, power tools everything that wasn't being used right then and there. I hope she's happy? We've lived here 50 years in July and I have no intentions of moving. I'll die here.
I have a few Antique shops nearby that sells lamps. They might have some?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Latest posts

Back