• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some help with handgun value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Need some help with handgun value. As most of you know I only shoot small caliber rifles came across this today couldn’t pass it up for the price but not really a handgun guy could you guys help me with a value on it the bore and cylinder are excellent condition no Pitting or anything. Has some minor scratches on the left side of the frame around one of the screws grips have a few minor nicks but nothing major.

Attachments

• 9A0525E7-6D80-49FD-AE21-ABEEF2E152D3.jpeg
    9A0525E7-6D80-49FD-AE21-ABEEF2E152D3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 2AE2E87C-2CD3-4451-B637-7BBAF66C8884.jpeg
    2AE2E87C-2CD3-4451-B637-7BBAF66C8884.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7EA2DB5D-0998-4333-983D-BAFE6C13073E.jpeg
    7EA2DB5D-0998-4333-983D-BAFE6C13073E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • E7E5D229-2DE9-4F45-8C06-0FFBD0105947.jpeg
    E7E5D229-2DE9-4F45-8C06-0FFBD0105947.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6E866221-9AF0-4423-8B44-7C06671AD548.jpeg
    6E866221-9AF0-4423-8B44-7C06671AD548.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I have been trying to find the same gun online but all of the ones I am seeing are built differently with more screws in the frame and a wedge to remove the cylinder. Thanks for the info. After taking it apart I am not sure it has ever been fired.

I have been trying to find the same gun online but all of the ones I am seeing are built differently with more screws in the frame and a wedge to remove the cylinder. Thanks for the info. After taking it apart I am not sure it has ever been fired.
The ones on line that you had been looking at were the Colt replicas. The one you have is a Remington New Model Army replica. Usually referred to as a Remington 1858.

I can't really read the date code very well - looks like AU? If so, your revolver is from 1989. You have yourself a nice gun there. The good thing about a stainless steel gun is that those scratches will be pretty easy to remove with a bit of careful polishing.

Ok that answers a lot of questions. I took a photo of the code it is AU. Don't know much about pistols so I will have to decide what to do with it.

Is it the stainless or the polished steel?
Near 100 difference in price as advertised at Cabela's.

Looks just like the stainless Pietta's I have had. IIRC a magnet will not stick to some stainless guns.

If revolver's action works ok and you said the bore is good it should be worth close to what a new Pietta stainless Remington sells for since new availability seems low. Identical stainless Remington at Cabela's nearest us is $439 and out of stock.

Last edited:
New they run over 400. I only looked at Cabelas.
IMO I would look at a new 1858 target model. Runs under 400 and would be new.

Appreciate it guys I have plenty of #10 caps and 35 Lbs of 3F powder. Found a couple bags of unlubed wonder wads so I would just need some .454 balls. I may order some and shoot it a few times and see if I like pistols or not. Action is very smooth with tight lock up and its a very easy gun to break down for cleaning. And yes the price was very low. They set the price so cant say I stole it. It was a good friend of mine who is an FFL dealer but wants nothing to do with anything BP related so when he gets something on trade it is mine if I want it and he doesn't put a whole lot into them.

If it were mine I would keep it and shoot it. The price of guns will only go up as the political left will drive the gun makers out of business:dunno:. The availability of same will also dry up so one day you will not be able to buy ANY kind of firearm at any price :( :eek:

In my opinion, Remingtons are not as sexy as Colt's but they shoot better. The long groove in the top of the receiver makes a better site picture. They break down easier for cleaning. The full frame makes them stronger. 35 grains of fffg should work well.
Get those .454s and enjoy!!

YUP, I'd say Remington 1858 New Army Model. Value depends on who made it. Pietta made it, it'd go new for right around $360. Unless you buy from Cabela's, then it will be higher. Don't get me wrong, if you can't find something anywhere, Cabela's may have it. They just aren't the cheapest. My bet is, it will need #11 caps. I like and even have one, so I like em! One thing I didn't like though is the front post is too high. Will make you tend to shoot low. But a fine file and a couple hours on the range fixes that handily.
If you want my opinion about what to do with it? Let me just say that when people started buying up all the guns and reloading supplies, I spent as much time loading up on black powder supplies - several pounds of FFg, FFFg, FFFFg powder, balls, felt wads for my pistols, patching material for my rifles, wads, shot, balls for my shotguns, 1,000 #11 caps.... You get the idea.
The reason I did this, is not only that I want to shoot and have a little fun, but it costs as much to shoot a box of 20 .308, .338, and etc as it does 100 rounds of smoke pole ammo & supplies. Also, I reckon that when cartridge mmo starts getting very hard to come by, I'll still be able to shoot... a lot!
I do recommend that you thoroughly vet and gun that you might use to save your life. Then shoot the snot out of it until you can shoot it by instinct. I think that more of the old style (black powder) pistols were built with their handles in an angle and configuration that makes snap Shootin (not using sights) easier to achieve stunning accuracy than most newer cartridge guns. I have a couple .45 caliber BP revolvers that in 45+ years as a trapper, I have and would trust with my life. But shoot it A LOT!
Nice gun! Don't sell it! Even if you ever want to shoot it, trust me, it'll be worth a whole lot more in barter over the next couple years!

Back