• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works Flintlock pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a flea market today and a guy had a pair of Dixie Gun works pistols in really good shape at a more than fair price, he said they were Spanish made but they looked like Mikro to me, one had been defarbed to have nothing but the serial number on the barrel, the other had most of the Dixie Gun Works logo still visible, these pistols were identical. These appeared to be .62 smoothbores, the locks had double throated cocks, the lock plates had all the Bess lock markings, Tower and date and crown stamp.

I am out of my area of knowledge on early Dixie pistols, I hated to walk away but my lack of knowledge kept me from pulling my wallet out.

What do you guys know about these pistols?

I have never been able to get this sites search function to find squat for me, so I asked the questions here.

Last edited:
I was at a flea market today and a guy had a pair of Dixie Gun works pistols in really good shape at a more than fair price, he said they were Spanish made but they looked like Mikro to me, one had been defarbed to have nothing but the serial number on the barrel, the other had most of the Dixie Gun Works logo still visible, these pistols were identical. These appeared to be .62 smoothbores, the locks had double throated cocks, the lock plates had all the Bess lock markings, Tower and date and crown stamp.

I am out of my area of knowledge on early Dixie pistols, I hated to walk away but my lack of knowledge kept me from pulling my wallet out.

Stronger man than me. Had they been serviceable and at an attractive or at least fair price........would of been mine.

$200 for the pair, they looked unfired or at least had been cleaned very well if they had been, it appeared that someone had reworked them, the stocks had a linseed oil finish.
I can't believe you're here.

Instead of rolling around in a field of daisies, frolicking with your new pair of pistols.

Would almost be a Massengill moment.

I looked at the flintlock pistol pictures on Gun Broker and found these pistols were exactly like the ones made by Ultra-High and called "Tower pistols", not the best quality if I remember right. Again, this is beyond my area of expertise.

I looked at the flintlock pistol pictures on Gun Broker and found these pistols were exactly like the ones made by Ultra-High and called "Tower pistols", not the best quality if I remember right. Again, this is beyond my area of expertise.
Even if they been Ultra-High Tower pistols.....200 clams for two of 'em? Even the Ultra-Highs basically worked out of the box.

I have never been able to get this sites search function to find squat for me, so I asked the questions here.
You almost have to know the results to get the search function to find something for you.

These Dixie smoothbores did have pretty poor locks. I think I would have passed them up too.

i hear people say and I think its true, you generally regret the things you didn’t do more than the things you do. I think that would have been the case for me. For that price I would be regretting not buying.

If the guy still has them next Tuesday (flea market day) I will take my bore scope, a piece of leather, a flint and a screwdriver and ask him if I can test the locks. If the bores are good and the locks work well, I will buy them. He knows me so he may let me test them.

If the guy still has them next Tuesday (flea market day) I will take my bore scope, a piece of leather, a flint and a screwdriver and ask him if I can test the locks. If the bores are good and the locks work well, I will buy them. He knows me so he may let me test them.
Hey Eric, whatever came of these?
Did yah get 'em?

A bunch of the Tower style flintlocks were non-firing guns that could be made to fire. Some needed a flash hole drilled other didn’t. Some had non-sparking frizzens that needed to be hardened on the face or replaced depending on the metal used. Others were perfectly fine and shootable though. The old DGW catalogues that had them in it would mention what was needed for them to shoot.

Mine needed a hardened frizzen face do it would spark. After so many shots it needed to be rehardened. But it is great fun though.

Latest posts

Back