• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED HELP!!! Need some help guys.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make the screw hold in the tube, drill a teensy pilot hole with a teensy bit from a torch cleaning kit, then dimple it inward like a funnel with a sharp scribe. Keep drawing it deeper and larger until the screw will just start and then push/turn the screw to make threads. Dimpling the hole will make the screw form 2 or maybe 3 threads instead of one.
IanH:
Thanks. I planned on tapping with a 4-40 taper tap, and add 6 machine screws, IF I can't find the sheet metal screws I need?
God bless:
Two Feathers

have you thought of putting a spot of braze on the head of a steel screw and then cutting a slot?
Rebel bull:
Thank you buddy, but I'm not set up to braze and I was just informed that Brass screws are not PC! So, I guess the steel ones I have coming will be fine? Old Rust (a forum member and fellow Pennsylvanian) came to my rescue! He's sending a few of what I need in steel, which now seems to be correct?
Thanks to everyone for their comments, suggestions and links.
I swore I'd NEVER restore another shot flask, but I may show off this one once it's finished? :doh:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Rebel bull:
Thank you buddy, but I'm not set up to braze and I was just informed that Brass screws are not PC! So, I guess the steel ones I have coming will be fine? Old Rust (a forum member and fellow Pennsylvanian) came to my rescue! He's sending a few of what I need in steel, which now seems to be correct?
Thanks to everyone for their comments, suggestions and links.
I swore I'd NEVER restore another shot flask, but I may show off this one once it's finished? :doh:
God bless:
Two Feathers
There is an ad in here from someone selling a bunch of antique screws. There might be some that will work

Hey y'all:
I'm in a bind and I need some screws. I've looked everywhere and can't find exactly what I need? I've contacted a few Fleabay suppliers and they can't help.
I need (6) very small solid brass self-tapping pan head screws with slot heads, about 3/16" long X 1/16" dia. or close. I'm going through some very thin Brass tubing so tapping is out. I don't think I could even get a full thread in the wall? I thought about a small wire rivet, but there's no way to get to the inside of the tube to peen it without damaging the internal threads? For whatever reason, I need the screws.
I'm doing a period repair job and I need to stay PC, so slot head is a must! I can find S/S and brass Phillips heads up the butt, but No slot heads?
I know (6) is a small quantity for most companies, but this is a one time job....hopefully, so I don't want 500 of them.
Thank you for anything you can tell me. I've tried ALL the normally searched companies, Fleabay, Amazon, Walmart, Fastenal, Grainger, etc., etc. Even a few places I'm half afraid to deal with, like Alibaba??
God bless:
Two Feathers
Try McMaster Carr, fully threaded brass screws, metric dimensions but slotted heads.

Check out Ebay for small brass slotted watchmaker screws or clock screws and good luck with your project
mloader40:
Thanks brother. I got a bunch of what I needed from a fellow member. The project turned out rather well, and much to the owner's liking. For that I was grateful.
Here's the finished product. If you look closely, you can see the screw at the top of the neck. As it turns out, Brass Screws were NOT PC for that time period, who knew? I just wanted Brass to match the charger head. Thanks
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 001.JPG
    English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 001.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 0
  • English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 002.JPG
    English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 002.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 0
  • English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 003.JPG
    English shot flask....DONE 8-18-2023 003.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 0
For the future or anyone else that find a need.

Brass machine screws right here: Link - Micro Fasteners Go to link, select machine screws then do a search for brass.

Alternative would be to find your local hobby supply to the Model Railroad crowd.

A final option is this guy: Link

Latest posts

Back