• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need HELP with set triggers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an early Virginia rifle that had a single trigger that was a little stiff but worked fine. In my infinite wisdom I decided to install a double set trigger. I got everything inlet and now I can trigger the lock with a great deal of pressure from the main trigger and when I set the it, and squeeze on the front tirgger it only triggers the lock to half cock.

Is my trigger to far away from the bar (sear?) on the lock? Is the trigger to far foward or backward? Any and all suggestions and help will be greatly apperciated.

Thanks

Well, you could have one or more of about 6 problems I can think of right off the top of my head.

1st, what kind of lock is it that you have?
2nd, What kind of set trigger do you have?
3nd, did you inlet the set triggers so that the adjustment screw is directly under the sear bar?
4th what is the depth of the sear bar below the bottom of the stock, and what is the hight of the un-set stretcher blade above the bottom of the stock?
5th do the front and rear triggers clear all the wood, all the time?
6th Dose the front trigger have any space at all between itself and the sear bar as you are setting the trigger. (as it cams into it's set notch)?
There are too many probles that you could have to guess exactly what's wrong in this case without being able to look at it.
I can coach you, but it should be on the phone so I can ask you questions as you work, and maybe guide you through it
E-mail me and we'll see what we can do
Steve Zihn

I'll post the info here cause I think I might be seeing the problem based on your questions.

1. It is an L&R Dickert lock (flint)
2. It is a large Davis double set
3. Yes
4. I'm not sure how to measure this but the sear bar seams like it is pretty far away from the un-set trigger blade.
5. Yes
6. Yes there is a space it looks like it could be around 1/4" to 3/8" maybe even more, I'm not sure how to measure this.

I'm thinking that my problem is going to be the space between the sear bar and the trigger. It would make sense that when using the trigger unset it is at the top of it's pull and hard to squeeze.

Thoughts? Corrections?

Check the tumbler on your lock. sounds to me like
the fly is missing or stuck and not moving to block the sear from the half cock notch when the
set trigger is used.

Since the rifle began life with a single trigger, the lock may never have had a fly. Did you keep that single trigger?

I checked this morning and the lock does not have a fly that I can see. The fly is the part that prevents the sear to fall into the half cock notch right? I don't remember the this lock ever having a fly. Can I call L&R and get a fly and put it on myself without modifying the lock? And yes I still have the single trigger.

I also checked it out some more as to the distance between the top blade of the trigger and the sear. Without setting the trigger the front is almost at it's furthest point back (pull) before it comes in contact with the sear.

A lot of L&R locks "flys" consist of a tiny little plate that is located by a small pin which is a part of the tumbler.
These L&R flys are very small and easy to loose. They also can be installed backwards.

On my L&R Bedford lock, the fly is located on the lock plate side of the tumbler, not on the bridle side like the Siler locks. You might look closely at the lock plate side of the tumbler when the lock is at full cock. If you see a small pocket without a little fly in it, you've found the problem.

zonie :)

Well I took a very close look at the lock and low and behold there is a fly. I disassembled the lock and looked closely at the fly and wouldn't you know it..... it was in backwards :redface: When assembled correctly everything functions just like it should Imagine that! Thanks Zonie, Leather Moose, ol vern and Steve your guys tips and suggestions helped keep my head with it and not giving in to the despair that I screwed up my favorite rifle. :hatsoff:

:shocked2:
Can't say I did anything,

but if I did, I am glad I helped.
Good shooting
Steve Z

Latest posts

Back