• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger position help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished a build early last fall and the trigger wasn't positioned correctly. (Davis double set) I have to set the trigger before pulling back the cock or it won't catch at half or full cock. I think I've figured out the problem but before I go chiseling away I figured I'd ask. I believe I've positioned the trigger too far back, waaay too far back.
The set trigger bar makes contact with the sear of the lock on the very end of bar. Pic attached trying to show the current alignment vs what I think is correct. Screenshot_20230702_190248_Photo Editor.jpgScreenshot_20230702_190558_Photo Editor.jpg

Split the difference between your two pictures to get the best pull weight with the front trigger unset and still have the set trigger bar contacting the sear bar in a good place.

If your sear bar can't seat in the tumbler notch without setting the triggers first, your trigger bars are too high OR the spring stop is letting them go too high. Sometimes you can get away with filing down both trigger bars and sometimes you have to file the tip of the main trigger spring, or install a stop of some kind so the trigger spring pressure is stopped just before the trigger contacts the sear bar. The "hammer" trigger bar should only be sprung until it almost contacts the sear bar, then free so it doesn't put upward pressure on the sear bar all the time. Inertia carries the "hammer" trigger on past the limit of the spring travel to impact and trip the sear bar.

As IanH said split the difference it will give you a lighter pull on your front trigger if you use it. If your trigger doesn't have a stop on for the spring it is easy to install a small screw to use as a stop.

Sometimes the nose of the spring can be ground slightly or the notch in the trigger where the spring bears can be lowered by filing in lieu of installing a stop. Nice thing about a stop screw is it is adjustable but better Loctite once it's set because there's no pressure on it when the triggers are set and it will "walk" out of adjustment. Not much room for a jam nut on most triggers.

The point where the two trigger bars forum their "X" should be where they engage the sear bar. From the photo I would move the assembly about 1/16" to the rear. It will give a better pull on the front, but there is still plenty of rear to engage when fired set.

Latest posts

Back