• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davis Deerslayer needs fitting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a Davis Deerslayer trigger for my pre-warning T/C Hawken. I did the stock inletting and the trigger fits in the stock nicely without any bind. I set the set screw per the T/C manual while the trigger was out of the gun. This was to screw the set screw in until the set trigger released, and then back the screw out a full turn.

However, the hammer will not set when the the Deerslayer trigger is installed. I looked at the Deerslayer compared to my stock trigger and found that the trigger blade is .123" higher than the stock trigger. The higher blade is not allowing the bar on the lock to drop down low enough to set. Is this a typical issue, maybe related to the earlier Hawken build date? I hesitate to change the geometry of that blade since this was supposed to be a drop in replacement.

Attachments

• dds.PNG
    dds.PNG
    727.1 KB · Views: 9
Well I got antsy tonight and drifted out the front pin from the side shown to remove the trigger. I took .070" off that blade with a file and then brought it to a mirror with a couple grits on a knife sharpening stone. There's about .100" of take up in the trigger before it engages the bar on the lock.

I could have probably taken a bit less off, but I like the idea of having a bit of gap there since the trigger and lock are connected through wood, and in MN we hunt in the cold mostly.

The trigger seems great. I think the biggest improvement is that it feels much less vague when set compared to the stock TC trigger.

Back