• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Set triggers to single trigger.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elktaker

32 Cal
Reaction score
Wells I received my, new to me 54cal. Lyman great plains rifle last week. Found it online in a gun shop in GA., it got here to Montana pretty quick via UPS. After a thorough inspection, I took it out last weekend. Used the 13 yard rule as a starting point. Put 3 balls through an 1½ circle, I was real happy about that. But I'm thinking about changing from double set triggers to a single trigger. I've never been a fan of double set triggers, and believe that the original hawken only had a single trigger. What do you guys think ? I'd appreciate some info on a good single trigger. I've heard of Dave's deer slayer trigger ?

It's really just as simple as 'don't use the set trigger'. Or do as TC did on their so-called 'single trigger conversion' just remove the rear trigger.

And a little FYI, the Davis Deerslayers are double-set triggers.

Wells I received my, new to me 54cal. Lyman great plains rifle last week. Found it online in a gun shop in GA., it got here to Montana pretty quick via UPS. After a thorough inspection, I took it out last weekend. Used the 13 yard rule as a starting point. Put 3 balls through an 1½ circle, I was real happy about that. But I'm thinking about changing from double set triggers to a single trigger. I've never been a fan of double set triggers, and believe that the original hawken only had a single trigger. What do you guys think ? I'd appreciate some info on a good single trigger. I've heard of Dave's deer slayer trigger ?
Good advice out there already! If you are adamant of having only a single trigger, call Ethan at Track and ask him for a good trigger. To me any good trigger that will fit your gun should do the trick provded it is installed correctly. Triggers are just like women..............Sensitive!!!!! 😂
Larry

The GPR has some broad variations in the quality of the front only trigger pull. I've seen everything ranging from good to what feels like 25 or 30 lbs.

If the front trigger pull is good, problem solved. If you want a single trigger a good "base" trigger is the Leman trigger.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/920/3/TR-LEMAN-1-T
Make a trigger plate to fit and pin the trigger through the stock.

Interesting ask @elktaker , most folks want to go the other way and install the double.
The Lyman GP does have a 1/2" wide trigger mortise that the Davis Deer Slayer fit's, and compared to the factory set,, the Davis does have a better feel and function only because of the manufacturers tolerances being better and a slight change to trigger angle.
As others have said,, just use the front, and/or remove the rear (it's a simple nonlinear pin).
Lyman does have a few models available that do have a single trigger,, those triggers should be a "drop-in" for the GP mortise width,, but may have a gap in length,, not a big deal.
Don't be afraid to dis-assemble your rifles trigger guard, trigger assembly and lock from the stock to see what you have and how it all functions, it's all part of common and needed cleaning, maintenance and lubrication. All that stuff fit's with being snug,, not, gorilla tight!
Thank's for checking here,, there's ton's of info, just keep reading an asking,,,,,

Thanks necchi. Great info. I used to take apart my old 54 cal. Springfield Armory hawken quite often for cleaning and general maintenance. This Lyman shouldn't be any different. I've been curious about the double set triggers just haven't taken the time to investigate them as of yet. Thanks again.

Find someone who has worked on muzzleloaders a lot, and they can do a proper single trigger for you. You will need to work on your load some, at 13 yards they should all be in the same hole.

Latest posts

Back