• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli P.1858 2-band Enfield rear sight - another quality issue story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juhu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to share my very fresh experience, no surprising story at all, just another addition to the pile and maybe a note for any future buyers.

I have been reading about Pedersoli muzzle loading guns for year, considering several options before making final decision, eventually I ended with venerable P.1858 2 band Enfield reproduction.

The gun itself looks nice, none of often reported quality issues like chipped wood, debris from drilling in there etc. The trigger has some movement will to sides too much to my taste, but I can live with that. Also trigger looseness in fwd-aft direction mentioned several time on the web is not present. The producer put tiny wire spring into the trigger, so it does not wobble freely (visible also in the 3D exploded view on Pedersoli web site when closely examinated.)

So where is the catch on my example? Well, rear sight. It is simply mounted off the center line. Hard to document, but I tried to make a shot where it is shown. I was so focused on quality examination, checked the details, and did not even notice this issue at the start. Simply you look for the details and miss the big point.

pedersoli.jpg

This is not a design fault, not something small that can happen. The issue must have been obvious to the guy who drilled the screw hole out of the center line and even more obvious to the QC (is there any?) once the gun was completed.

Actually, this only confirms what I have read and shall have expected: Pedersoli quality sucks. I have read all those reviews, have seen pictures of pistons fell apart after few shots, inaccurately drilled holes, I should have been prepared and warned. There is also no secret, that while US market is the most important for any manufacturer, it is much more probable you get the worse quality Pedersoli product in small European country than in US. Still, issue like this is so obvious that either there is really no QC or (I assume), they simply do not care.

The gun cost is similar in US as is in Europe; it is not worthy more than half of it in my opinion. The problem is, you have no other better option here, if wanting to do muzzleloader shooting.

I have some idea how to fix this myself, still have to think about it, I hope at the end I will do some nice target shooting with the gun yet it confirms my previous experience: I would enjoy Italian coffee, wine, cheese, but if any other choice I would avoid any product of metallurgy and mechanical engineering.

Hi all,

just wanted to share my very fresh experience, no surprising story at all, just another addition to the pile and maybe a note for any future buyers.

I have been reading about Pedersoli muzzle loading guns for year, considering several options before making final decision, eventually I ended with venerable P.1858 2 band Enfield reproduction.

The gun itself looks nice, none of often reported quality issues like chipped wood, debris from drilling in there etc. The trigger has some movement will to sides too much to my taste, but I can live with that. Also trigger looseness in fwd-aft direction mentioned several time on the web is not present. The producer put tiny wire spring into the trigger, so it does not wobble freely (visible also in the 3D exploded view on Pedersoli web site when closely examinated.)

So where is the catch on my example? Well, rear sight. It is simply mounted off the center line. Hard to document, but I tried to make a shot where it is shown. I was so focused on quality examination, checked the details, and did not even notice this issue at the start. Simply you look for the details and miss the big point.

View attachment 277330

This is not a design fault, not something small that can happen. The issue must have been obvious to the guy who drilled the screw hole out of the center line and even more obvious to the QC (is there any?) once the gun was completed.

Actually, this only confirms what I have read and shall have expected: Pedersoli quality sucks. I have read all those reviews, have seen pictures of pistons fell apart after few shots, inaccurately drilled holes, I should have been prepared and warned. There is also no secret, that while US market is the most important for any manufacturer, it is much more probable you get the worse quality Pedersoli product in small European country than in US. Still, issue like this is so obvious that either there is really no QC or (I assume), they simply do not care.

The gun cost is similar in US as is in Europe; it is not worthy more than half of it in my opinion. The problem is, you have no other better option here, if wanting to do muzzleloader shooting.

I have some idea how to fix this myself, still have to think about it, I hope at the end I will do some nice target shooting with the gun yet it confirms my previous experience: I would enjoy Italian coffee, wine, cheese, but if any other choice I would avoid any product of metallurgy and mechanical engineering.
On a new rifle I wouldn't tolerate that.

I agree, returning it would be the most natural option, in any other case with other product I would do so. Imagine the following situation:

-you live in a very small country where only and only one Pedersoli dealer / seller exist
-this guy, very frequent shooter himself understand very well this, I would bet, although cannot prove, he must have seen the issue when holding the gun, still sells it.
-there is no stock pile of these guns, they are ordered and you wait for one like at least 5 months, not knowing what you actually get as you see.
-you cannot visit other country and just buy the gun there. Well, you can, with special permission and only to buy it in person, no shipping from abroad without another gun license. And yet, even abroad within reasonable range to travel, all the Peds. guns are on order only. As said, months of waiting.
-laws are very strict here, each gun must be registered by the police with its serial number, you get the official gun registration plate - sending the gun for some barrel replacement or fix to Italy, would not rather imagine all the troubles
- it is possible that at the end and after many months of waiting, I would get “something” as a replacement or the same rifle somehow “fixed”. But whether this would be any better is a lottery - why should mI believe guys from Pedersoli would care more now?

So what I did:

Marked CL of the barrel using thin line, measured sight screw hole deviation from the center. Then using small diamond file extended screw holes in rear sight base and spring (i.e. absolutely no impact on barrel), flattened little screw head, so it does not interfere with sight ladder and here it is. Sight is right where it should be and the only visible change from the outside is the small “shift” of the top screw to the right as the sight base now rests at the CL.

I feel some kind of satisfaction to fix the thing on my own, but it has no improvement impact on what I think of Pedersoli – I wish instead of shiny DVDs of little to no use, they include into the rifle package, they rather invest more into their manufacture quality and QC in general.
Let’s check it at the shooting range, hopefully I have already had my cup of misfortune.

20231221_100434.jpg
20231221_111920.jpg

You did a nice job "fixing" the issue at hand but it is sad that you had to do this fix in the first place. Far too many manufactures are turning out inferior products that consumers are forced to buy if they want a certain product.

Back