• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naming Your Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few of my rifles have earned a name- Boomer, Ol Smoky, Spanky and an early long barreled Kibler SMR the club calls Tennessee Toothpick.
I used to name my arrows - others just numbered theirs, but I thought that’s not very original so I wrote cartoon characters on mine. Bugs n Daffy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and those loveable chipmunks Chip and Dave… ;)

Most of my muzzleloaders have no name. However, my "chunkgun" that is a .50 caliber heavy bench-rest type target rifle with a 46 inch long barrel and weighs 16 pounds; I call "Bucephalus" (Bu-ceph-a-lus) which was the name of Alexander The Great's war horse.

None whatever, it's a Firearm or it's a car, truck whatever. However, my wife calls her cars something or other. I call them her Broom.

One time getting her new car registered I was tempted to get her a vanity plate that was open for use My Broom, but I did not have the courage to do so. I am not suicidal.

I always appreciate hearing when other folks name their rifles. Whether they be a production piece or a kit that required a little more love and affection to build, I feel that it gives them unique character and reveals some personality.

So what did YOU name your rifle (or other smoothie or fowling piece)?

Last edited:
I always appreciate hearing when other folks name their rifles. Whether they be a production piece or a kit that required a little more love and affection to build, I feel that it gives them unique character and reveals some personality.

I have only named one gun that I have ever owned. It is a North American, 22 LR, mini revolver. I call it "My Little Surprise." It earned its name back in the mid 1980's. My wife and our two sons, then aged 10 and 8, were camping in a very rural part of Ohio. We were accosted by 5 ruffians that had ill intentions on their minds. They thought we were easy prey until I pulled back my jacket, revealing the little pistol holstered on my belt. Even that diminutive little handgun made them change their minds and leave us alone.

If I do, it's because they earn it. My first flinter was a Dixie Gun Works Pennsylvania by Pedersoli. I called it "Finger Cutter". You and many envision this dealer of death causing all the native widows to wail and cut off fingers! In truth, between cutting patching at the muzzle and changing & working on the flints I use to cut my fingers up something awful!
I have an "Early English Trade Gun" that I use to do well in the smooth bore shoots years ago against the Tulles, so I named it "Jacques Dropper".
I agree with you regarding a gun earning its name. I made a post about how a little pistol I have earned its name. --- My little pistol will have great significance to me.

Very few of my rifles have earned a name- Boomer, Ol Smoky, Spanky and an early long barreled Kibler SMR the club calls Tennessee Toothpick.
I used to name my arrows - others just numbered theirs, but I thought that’s not very original so I wrote cartoon characters on mine. Bugs n Daffy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and those loveable chipmunks Chip and Dave… ;)
You have your chipmunks mixed up. There is Chip and Dale and then we have Simon, Theodore and Alvin. Those 3 are owned by a guy named Dave.

I have a GRRW Hawken 54 that is named Sneaky. First deer I took with it after spooking 4 others. I have a place I set up behind the house where you can see 3 deer trails going left to right. Checked the breeze coming from my right so faced right. Had a deer walk up on my from the left. Next day I faced to the left and a deer came from the right and so on the next 2 days until I nailed a big doe that was very healthy and tasty. So sneaky is the Hawken's name.

The spot itself was an unplanned spot. I set up the tree stand one year on the hill in a likely spot, cleared shooting lanes and did all the normal prep work. 2 days before the season did something to my knee at work and could hardly walk. I managed to crawl 50 yards into the woods and sat under 2 trees that gave me a good view and cover. Shot a decent deer there, and have taken one every year in the same spot. Never hunted from the stand and took it down.

Don

Like Stephen I only ever had 1 I named. Camping in the Ocala national forest I asked my wife to get our guests a cracker. On a more humorous side one of our clubmembers calls his guns his shooting gun and his flinter is his drinking gun

I dont think I have ever named an object I own, except maybe derisively if it had a tendency not not work.

But maybe I should try it.

The .54 is Josiah after my 5th great grandfather
A fowler named Ol Doc, after the guy I got it from.
Trade gun needs a name,
New fowler will earn one someday as well.

10ga bertha, 58 thumper

I've never given a "name" to any gun and call them just exactly what the are; .45, .36, etc. But I've made only one exception and that's my .62 aka 20 ga smoothbore flintlock. I only use the name if someone asks or discusses it. It's named "Ol' Loudmouf" simply because it is an ol' Loudmouf".

I have never named a gun, till I touched off my 72 carbine rifle one cold quiet morning. The echo and roar rolled thru the woods.

It named it's self, 'Ole Thunder'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back