• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter Rifle or the Traditions Springfield Hawken. 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Kilgo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, I have narrow it down to my first blackpowder rifle, the Traditions Deerhunter or the Traditions Springfield Hawken .50 cal.
I would like a little feedback or opinions on which one you think would be a better first timer rifle I would appreciate all the info you give thanks. I would love to have a double barrel but the price i have seen,but just like I said I would like to hear some feedback on the two. Thanks and God bless.

Here comes the "Buy a Kibler" onslaught.

OP.

The Hawken looks more traditional, but the Deerhunter has a great butt plate.

For a hunting rifle, it would be the Deerhunter. Hands down.

And I think it has tapped holes near the breech for a scope base and optics.

Last edited:
Either one would be great starter and hunting rifles. I prefer the look of the Springfield Hawken better but, YMMV. The Springfield is light enough, shoulders quickly and maneuvers easily in brush.

IMG_1071.jpg

I'd personally look at the hawken woodsman
The only reason I didn't mention that one was since he is just starting out, the other two would be economical and leave him some for shooting accessories. He could get his feet wet, decide if ML is his cup of tea and then aim for a more quality one down the road. The Woodsman is a great option of course. đź‘Ť

Are you going to hunt With it? Either rifle will serve you well, but I am not a big fan of double set triggers in the woods. It’s something to consider before buying.

Can the Traditions Springfield Hawken shoot saboted rounds.
Those are not discussed here on this Forum and if they were, I couldn't answer that question. I only have shot patched round ball but, will soon be trying some 250gr. Lee R.E.A.L. bullets. Good luck in your search and be sure to let us know what you end up with.

I have both so here's what I can offer . I prefer the Springfield Hawken just for the traditional look and feel. The Hawken also offers a slightly longer sight plane and slightly higher velocity, with a 28" barrel vs. the Deerhunter's 24" barrel. Both are 1:48 twist and shoot round ball and conicals equally well. Both have single triggers ( I prefer for hunting) and are smooth and light. For strictly a hunting rifle, the Deerhunter is perfect in blinds, tree stands, and thick brush. It has a perfect center balance point and is light and handy with sling attachments. . The Deerhunter has modern fiber "glow" sights, but I find the traditional blade and notch of the Hawken to be much more accurate. The Deerhunter also has a thick rubber butt pad and a slightly longer length of pull.

Be aware that the Springfield Hawken is discontinued , so you would need to find a used one or new old stock one.

Last edited:
Before the haters chime in, here's what the Springfield Hawken is capable of.
Haters can only hate! Like you, I like mine and it's a shame they stopped making them. Great for getting folks into the sport.

Haters can only hate! Like you, I like mine and it's a shame they stopped making them. Great for getting folks into the sport.
You bet, I like the no frills look with it's single trigger , no patch box, and flat buttplate. I think of it as a "trade gun" Hawken. Hate that they stopped making it, but Traditions does makes one called "Frontier " which is the same gun but with double triggers and a adj. leaf rear sight.

Neither will work, you need a $3,000 entry level custom gun. However, I am one of the "Poor Folks", and I own two .50 cal. Deer Hunters, and have shot the Hawken. Both have shot great, cloverleaf at 50 yards with PRB's or a Ball-et/Pennsylvania Hunter. With my Deerhunter, I have taken nine bucks with nine shots, the longest being a 125 yard shot with the Ball-et. That was unusual, I much prefer and usually get 30 yards or closer. Either is a fine rifle to start off with, but I also am a fan of the Investarms Hawken, which I believe to be superior. The Investarms can be purchased used relatively cheaply, and seems more solid and better made. Saying that, I have never had a problem with my Deer Hunters, and a long time ago, my son took his first 5 (and only 5, sadly) deer with one, all clean one shot kills. Ditch the sabot idea. Instead just dump 60, or at most 70 grains (volume) of powder down the barrel, and ram a PRB or Ball-et down on it. Works fine. Don't believe the hype of using 100+ grains of powder, or silly little powder pellets, along with some weird plastic wrapped bullet, trying to imitate a modern rifle. You will lose accuracy, you will get beaten by recoil, use more powder, but because of the short barrels, get no appreciable increase in muzzle velocity. I know, I own a chronos, and have shot thousands of rounds over them for decades.

Latest posts

Back