• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber for a non-collector

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends... I currently own two factory flintlocks in .54. One is a Pendersoli pistol that I assembled, the other is a Lyman GPR. These were my entry into the flintlock world.

I am a primarily a deer hunter, though with flintlocks, I'm smitten with some of the absolutely gorgeous rifles that I see guys on this forum building. I also really enjoyed the process of "building" the Pendersoli pistol. Now that James Kibler has announced some pre-carved stocks, I'm seriously considering purchasing one of his kits for a winter project. I had already decided that his kits were right for me based on consistent quality, lovely lines, and kits that seem to be a good fit for a "handyman" like me who isn't a true gun builder. Now that carving is an option, I'm really hoping to get in line on an order.

Like I said though, I'm a hunter primarily...

I'm struggling with the notion of purchasing another deer-caliber rifle in .50 or .54, versus getting a neat little squirrel gun in .32 or .36. I consider the .45 a bit of an "in-between" caliber, though technically, it meets the minimum caliber required for deer in the states where I hunt. Of course, if money were not a concern, I could get both! Alas... my trees don't grow money...

What are your thoughts on a .45 as an in-between caliber? Would it be a nice squirrel gun, or really a bit too big for that? I suspect that I'd still carry the .54 for most of my deer hunting only because if I scratch it up, I won't be upset. Plus.. there's something I like about carrying matching pistol/rifle when I hunt. Having the .45 though gives me an option for deer in the event the .54 fails me, or I just want to carry it.

I guess I'm debating between a .45 to give me options for large and small game, versus a .36 or .32 for 100% squirrel/bunny and recreational shooting.

Thanks fellas.
Rob

Tx, this past winter I purchased a .32 caliber Crockett Squirrel Rifle for the sole purpose of squirrel hunting. I can tell you with certainty that I absolutely love shooting that little ML. It is very economical to shoot, has a light report, and has provided me with much enjoyment so far. It is the the most enjoyable rifle I have every shot by far and I wouldn't trade one for any other caliber ML. About the only downside to a .32 for this ole boy has been learning how to handle the .310 round ball. It took me a while to get used to it and to not drop them. With cold and/or old numb hands it can be challenging. However, it appears as if I have overcome such issue, for the most part anyway.

With that said, if I were faced with the decision of having only one rifle for a do-all ML, it would most likely be a .45 or perhaps .40 caliber. You can always down load the charge and as I understand it, the larger RB is not quite as influenced by wind. However, I have shot my .32 quite a bit this year I have not encountered such issues. A .45 has taken many deer sized game with round ball. Many are rifled to provide good accuracy with conicals, which would certainly be more than sufficient especially at further distances.

For larger game I use my .50 and plan on using my .54 GPR this year.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I think the real question is whether you will carry another caliber for deer? If you think you will, then I'd say go with a .45 but if you're happy with the .54 as your deer gun, then go for a .32 or .36. As a caveat, I understand that all the barrel profiles are the same for the kibler models so that if you buy a .32 SMR now, you could buy a .45 barrel from then later and change it out, or so I've read.

My opinion, you'd be wasting lead using a .45 on squirrels. You'll get twice as many rounds to the ounce with a .32 vs a .45, plus you will use less powder with a .32 as well.

Last year, I melted down a 4 ounce pure lead fishing sinker that my wife's father gave me. He gave me a bag full of them, however, I made around 45 .311 diameter balls from that one sinker. It was enough lead for the entire season and then some.

A little advantage of the 32 or 36 is if you are shooting squirrels up in the tree and happen to miss (we all know that rarely happens) the smaller ball loses energy much more quickly and poses less danger down range. I also shoot light loads in my small calibers when hunting at shorter ranges. Not much powder is needed when a max range is likely 20-30 yards.

I would go 45. Then if someone else joins you for hunting deer you can loan out the .54 . I would rather load down the 45 for squirrels and leave the door open for deer.
I just fell into a nice 45 custom flint poor boy! Been learning its likes and dislikes. But I am enjoying it! It’s a sweet little gun! My 12 year old will probably deer hunt with it this year.

I had a similar dilemma but decided to go to a 58 cal. Like you I'm just a hunter.

Hard to argue with .54 results but a 58 can do all that and more.

I say go with what you want and you'll love it no matter what 👍

20230624_074105.jpg

Hello friends... I currently own two factory flintlocks in .54. One is a Pendersoli pistol that I assembled, the other is a Lyman GPR. These were my entry into the flintlock world.

I am a primarily a deer hunter, though with flintlocks, I'm smitten with some of the absolutely gorgeous rifles that I see guys on this forum building. I also really enjoyed the process of "building" the Pendersoli pistol. Now that James Kibler has announced some pre-carved stocks, I'm seriously considering purchasing one of his kits for a winter project. I had already decided that his kits were right for me based on consistent quality, lovely lines, and kits that seem to be a good fit for a "handyman" like me who isn't a true gun builder. Now that carving is an option, I'm really hoping to get in line on an order.

Like I said though, I'm a hunter primarily...

I'm struggling with the notion of purchasing another deer-caliber rifle in .50 or .54, versus getting a neat little squirrel gun in .32 or .36. I consider the .45 a bit of an "in-between" caliber, though technically, it meets the minimum caliber required for deer in the states where I hunt. Of course, if money were not a concern, I could get both! Alas... my trees don't grow money...

What are your thoughts on a .45 as an in-between caliber? Would it be a nice squirrel gun, or really a bit too big for that? I suspect that I'd still carry the .54 for most of my deer hunting only because if I scratch it up, I won't be upset. Plus.. there's something I like about carrying matching pistol/rifle when I hunt. Having the .45 though gives me an option for deer in the event the .54 fails me, or I just want to carry it.

I guess I'm debating between a .45 to give me options for large and small game, versus a .36 or .32 for 100% squirrel/bunny and recreational shooting.

Thanks fellas.
Rob
If your interested in the carved Kibler kit it’s only offered for the Woodsrunner at this time in .45, .50, and .54. The SMR is offered in the smaller calibers. I too love a .45 and I love a .50 and .54 too.

A little advantage of the 32 or 36 is if you are shooting squirrels up in the tree and happen to miss (we all know that rarely happens) the smaller ball loses energy much more quickly and poses less danger down range. I also shoot light loads in my small calibers when hunting at shorter ranges. Not much powder is needed when a max range is likely 20-30 yards.
Yes sir, the economical aspect of the .32 should not be overlooked. My squirrel rifle likes 20 grains of 3F black powder. I could probably go with 15 grains if I wanted to. Also, I haven't tested it yet to see what the longer distance drop would be, or how far it will shoot that small .310 round ball but my guess is it isn't very far. And it most certainly will not hold much energy at those longer distances.

I do know for a fact that out of 33 squirrels I have shot with that ML, all were pass through shots with the exception of one where the ball stopped in a rear leg bone. Don't know what happened on that one because it was a strange angle shot. However, I doubt any of my shots so far have been out past 35-40 yards. My old eyes just cannot see well enough to shoot small targets such as squirrels up in trees much farther.

We all have our likes n dislikes . The caliber on your next choice is a balance of what you really want. I have a .54 its great, but for my game its a bit overkill. Now in your case its a good hunting caliber. If you really want to save on powder n ball you go smaller. .32's are fine, i had one & prefer a step up. I sold my .32 when i got my .40. Depending on what State n what they allow may have a bearing on your choice. .45 carries enough ball weight you can load up or down. My State allows a .40 its a good choice for close range. Now if your in a club that requires use of round balls a .45 shoots better at longer range.

A .45 isn't too large or too small for small game and deer. But you'll need to find an accurate "light" load that won't explode a gray. Even with a recommended hit on one will still leave you with an exploded rodent. Work up a real accurate load that just mossies along and takes it's time to get from rifle to target. But since you already have deer covered getting a .36 or even a .32 is a world away from the big boys. I have both and they were my small game rifles until I got where I couldn't hunt any longer.

I wouldn’t consider the .45 an “ in between” caliber. Seems more of a deer gun than a squirrel gun as shown by several posters attesting to its lethality on deer. Your .54 is a beast of a deer/bear gun so your already set there . I would get a .32 or .36 . Economical and downright fun to shoot , very accurate and perfect for teaching a new shooter.

Like a previous member said, if you are looking for a caliber that you can hunt squirrels with, please check your state game regulations. In Louisiana you can not hunt deer with anything smaller than .44 but you can not shoot squirrel with anything larger than .36! Obviously those making the rules down here are not very knowledgeable about the capabilities of various muzzleloading calibers. So point is check your local game regulations before making final caliber decisions. I messed up when I thought I could hun squirrel with my old .40 I made years ago only to find the only thing I can hunt down here legally with is PAPER! Good luck in your decision making.

I have a .50 and .54 and decided my next was going to be a SMR . I spent days reading all I could about peoples feelings and statistics on .32, .36, .40, and .45. After all the pros and cons likes dislikes etc. I ordered my SMR in .36 this is what I came away with and I'm in no way recommending you do the same. I decided i was building a Kibler SMR and if it was only available in any one of the calibers I would have taken it and been happy. John.

Latest posts

Back