• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber for a non-collector

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all who offered your opinions. I see (as also pointed out above) that the Kibler carving is only offered on the Woodsman. That certainly lands me on a .45…. But I’m guessing that once Jim gets these out the door and builds up a track record, he may decide to expand into the SMR too.

Dang it guys. Y’all raised excellent points, with emphasis on ALL of ya.

I think I can rule out the .32 though, based mainly on my eyes and hand dexterity. I’m only 56years young, but already I’m seeing that I can’t tie flies as well as I used to, and my vision for the distances of muzzle stuffing is right there at the in-between where my failing near vision intersects with my mediocre distance vision. I could solve that if I go back to progressive glasses again .. but probably wouldn’t hurt to go .36 or .40 too. But.. only if Kibler starts carving the SMR.

I enjoy this thread and will re-read it several times. Thanks folks.

Thanks to all who offered your opinions. I see (as also pointed out above) that the Kibler carving is only offered on the Woodsman. That certainly lands me on a .45…. But I’m guessing that once Jim gets these out the door and builds up a track record, he may decide to expand into the SMR too.

Dang it guys. Y’all raised excellent points, with emphasis on ALL of ya.

I think I can rule out the .32 though, based mainly on my eyes and hand dexterity. I’m only 56years young, but already I’m seeing that I can’t tie flies as well as I used to, and my vision for the distances of muzzle stuffing is right there at the in-between where my failing near vision intersects with my mediocre distance vision. I could solve that if I go back to progressive glasses again .. but probably wouldn’t hurt to go .36 or .40 too. But.. only if Kibler starts carving the SMR.

I enjoy this thread and will re-read it several times. Thanks folks.
To each his/her own on the style of rifles they like. The Woods Runner has a shorter barrel length n i really like the drop in the stock vs the SMR. Calibers are a personal choice. I fell into the eyesight problem for past 15 years. Now anything past 75 yards & a tight group is wishful thinking for me.

I had a .32 and didn't care a whole lot for it. I just recently got my paws on a .36 cal and absolutely love it. It's a tc Seneca and it's a good little shooter. Recoil on par with a 22WMR when using balls and 30 gr charge

What are your thoughts on a .45 as an in-between caliber? ...
I think your thoughts are "on target" for what you want to do with your rifle. I'm building a Kibler SMR in .45, but I don't hunt, so that wasn't a decision point for choosing that rifle. I decided on the SMR mainly because I wanted a rifle with iron hardware, not brass, and I got it in .45 because it's the largest caliber for that rifle.

I have a half dozen rifles and smoothbores in .62 and .58, several more in .54. And a couple of .40’s that I can literally use to do anything I want to do in Texas. Plus one Pedersoli .50.

…But I really want a .36

My interests are moving towards shooting original guns. One thing to remember is that historically East of the Mississippi, with a few exceptions, the .45 was considered perfect and large for civilian use and the .50 was required for “military” duty. We don’t think of the .50 as a Big Bore, but the folks back then that bet their lives and their family’s lives on their guns figured a .36/.40/.45 was just fine.

Many a .45 and .50 got dropped on the plains and in the mountains by the man carrying it so he could try to out run the bear he just really upset with it! So the bigger calibers have a decided place.

A .36 pistol was considered perfectly adequate for armed conflict among men, it will certainly kill a deer with a well placed shot.

I say get the .36.

And an .45!

Back