• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: after getting some advise from Dave Person here in the board to thin the areas around the lock and side plate I decided to go for it. As you can see I have removed quite a lot of wood to thin it out. I used a gouge to remove the wood at the front, then shaped it with a small file, then scrapers and sand paper.

I took it over to my teachers shop and he was pleased that I did this. He found a couple of spots that needed some adjusting but for the most part it looked good to him.

After that he gave me some carving lessons in a practice stock, stabbing in, relief and incise carving.

Below shows some before and after pics. I had to wipe the drawing and De-whisker the entire area. I'm back to where I can draw the carving outline and start stabbing it in.

Before
View attachment 131625
After
View attachment 131623
Looking great.
I always laugh (and get a little irritated) when someone interjects "advice" into one of Dave's build threads.
But I absolutely love it when I see threads like this where someone is building what will be a very nice gun regardless, then they take Dave's tips and advice and get results that are fantastic. Good job.

Last edited:
Looking great.
I always laugh (and get a little irritated) when someone intersects "advice" into one of Dave's build threads.
But I absolutely love it when I see threads like this where someone is building what will be a very nice gun regardless, then they take Dave's tips and advice and get results that are fantastic. Good job.
Thanks and I have seen that occur on Dave's posts. It's entertaining!

This is a practice stock my teacher let me borrow. Today I sketched a shell on it and did this carving. I feel like I'm ready to tackle the carving on the Fowler.
PXL_20220408_213549867.jpg

I picked up my PA Fowler Kit in .62 cal or 20 gauge from Jim and Barbie Chambers at Friendship. They are wonderful folks. I had the pleasure of having dinner with them over at their camp site one night.

This is going to be my squirrel, Turkey and maybe even try to bag a Deer gun. I'll also use it at the primitive range at Friendship.

View attachment 81650
View attachment 81651
View attachment 81652
looks great and fun. I really hope you post pictures when you are done. Good going

Nice looking design, and you appear to have good carving skills to do a fine job, so this should be sweet :thumb:
Thanks PNC! I got some lessons from my friend and mentor who's very skilled and experienced at it. Then he lent me that practice stock so that was a real confidence builder. I got up today and felt like it was time to go for it!
A few more pics:
PXL_20220409_184846276.jpg

PXL_20220409_175653586.jpg

Back