• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks nice. I would be wondering if removing wood to make the carving stand out in bas-relief might slightly flatten the slope of the wrist.
That's a good point. This will be my first carving. I'll bring this up with my teacher and see what he thinks. I'm half tempted to just forget the carving and finish it. I want to shoot this baby!

I'll be getting some help from my friend and teacher on the carving next week so we'll see what he suggests. The original I'm basing this on looks like relief to me. What do you think?
View attachment 125863
The tang bolt seem a little off center and peened over , or is that my old eyes ? I think since you have done the layout and seem good at this type of work you should do the carving . At least to honor your teacher .

@Loja man I went to my friend/teachers shop. He helped me adjust and finish the drawing on one side. I finished the orher. Next step is to stab it in. Unfortunately he is under the weather so I'm waiting until he is well so we can get back to carving.
PXL_20220311_001005016.jpg

PXL_20220311_000955802.jpg

Wonderful job, Hatchet-Jack. I stumbled upon your thread tonight and thoroughly enjoyed your journey. Thanks for taking time to photograph and post your progress.

Worked on the ramrod today. The one that came with the kit is about 1/2" thick!

About 1/16" of the front lock bolt was in the channel blocking the ramrod. I made a scraper by hammering the end of a piece of round stock to give it an edge. I scraped the ramrod channel out to give it enough clearance so the ramrod will slip by it. My plan B would be to take the diameter of the bolt down but this worked so no need.

I then used a pair of sheet metal shears in a vise to plane the ramrod down to the right diameter. It fits well.

View attachment 95657
View attachment 95658
View attachment 95659
View attachment 95661
View attachment 95660
I have in the past just filed a notch in the front lock bolt enough so that the ramrod cleared. I then placed a file mark on the bolt head on the notch side to reassemble the same way every time. Worked for over 40 years on my 1728 French musket!

I got a few hours in today working on inletting the trigger guard. The acorn finial is a bit tricky but it's getting there. It won't be perfect but I'm learning a lot.
I've been researching this Fowler trying to decide what kind of carving I want to do. Chambers calls it a PA Fowler. I found several original guns that have the same hardware in the excellent book "Flintlock Fowlers the first guns made in America" by Tom Grinslade. These were what he calls "British Style Fowlers" made in the Colonies. The early Acorn Finial on the trigger Guard, the round faces British Lock, the Butt Plate style etc. match the Chambers hardware. These were made in New York and Grinslade has 3 that were made in Pennsylvania. They typically had a shell pattern carving around the barrel tang, rear ramrod pipe or trigger guard. I also see examples with a thumb piece. Also some simple engraving on the brass and the lock

View attachment 104372
View attachment 104373
I am not sure what you call this British style triggerguard finial , maybe a flame, or urn. Acorn designs were used, but a little later in the 18th Century.
Very nice work, however!

I just finished going through all your posts and am inspired to finish an "in the white" Larry Williams fowler that I have.
Years ago I found a fowler relic in an antique shop. it was broken off at the rear lock bolt hole. It included the butt plate. So I had an idea what the side plate and back of the triggerguard looked like. The buttplate tang was not symmetrical ! I ordered the fowler in order to make a similar one. I lost steam on the buttplate install. Now I am enthused and motivated from your efforts!

I am not sure what you call this British style triggerguard finial , maybe a flame, or urn. Acorn designs were used, but a little later in the 18th Century.
Very nice work, however!
My book Flintlock Fowlers by Tom Grinslade shows an original that looks identical to the Chambers finial on a 1760 Fowler. He says the English gun makers referred to this as the first form of the acorn finial. He also calls it a modified acanthus. Either way it was a pain to inlet.

I just finished going through all your posts and am inspired to finish an "in the white" Larry Williams fowler that I have.
Years ago I found a fowler relic in an antique shop. it was broken off at the rear lock bolt hole. It included the butt plate. So I had an idea what the side plate and back of the triggerguard looked like. The buttplate tang was not symmetrical ! I ordered the fowler in order to make a similar one. I lost steam on the buttplate install. Now I am enthused and motivated from your efforts!
Excellent oreclan! I'm glad you found some inspiration and please post your progress.

Update: after getting some advise from Dave Person here in the board to thin the areas around the lock and side plate I decided to go for it. As you can see I have removed quite a lot of wood to thin it out. I used a gouge to remove the wood at the front, then shaped it with a small file, then scrapers and sand paper.

I took it over to my teachers shop and he was pleased that I did this. He found a couple of spots that needed some adjusting but for the most part it looked good to him.

After that he gave me some carving lessons in a practice stock, stabbing in, relief and incise carving.

Below shows some before and after pics. I had to wipe the drawing and De-whisker the entire area. I'm back to where I can draw the carving outline and start stabbing it in.

Before
PXL_20220311_001005016.jpg

After
PXL_20220402_111538618.jpg

That looks really great! We are really blessed to have Dave here to provide professional advise give direction as well as show us how to do it. And that you made the commitment to re-work what had been already “finished” is super. (I recently did the same thing!) Your build is fun to watch 😊

That looks really great! We are really blessed to have Dave here to provide professional advise give direction as well as show us how to do it. And that you made the commitment to re-work what had been already “finished” is super. (I recently did the same thing!) Your build is fun to watch 😊
So true PathfinderNC! I really value his feedback. It almost killed me to rework it but I'm so glad I did now.

Back