• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New R. Ashe 36 Cal Longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splais

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received my new percussion longrifle I purchased while I do my search for a flintlock. She is a beautiful piece as you can see. 36 cal, 44" straight barrel (unknown maker)with Davis lock and set triggers. The rifle was made by R Ashe and if anyone knows anything about him I would love to know. There is a fair amount of engraving and inletting and the rifle is in excellent condition. Now to the back woods to live out my fantacies...

DSC00095.jpg
DSC00096.jpg
DSC00097.jpg
DSC00100.jpg
DSC00101.jpg

Yowsah! That's one heck of a rifle. I'm usually not a fan of engraving, but that stock looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

What are you looking for in a flintlock?

Wow, that shines! If it shoots half as good as it looks you've got yourself a winner. :thumbsup:

WOW that's a Dandy of a rifle there, can't wait to see the range report on that piece of art.

Splais - Do you have any idea what part of the country this rifle may have originated?
I am familiar with a Robert Ashe. He built guns in southeaatern Ohio for several years and signed his rifles "R Ashe". However, I realize there may have been other gunsmiths by this name. He past away 2-3 years ago. He built high quality rifles during his tenure. Is it possible for you to add a close-up picture of the name on the barrel? Did you purchase this rifle from an individual or a dealer?
By the way, it is beautiful!
8905c

An understatement I'm sure!
Mighty fine rifle!

As life goes by we often seek works of art, what ever they may be, and we often miss them, for whatever reasons.
But it is truely nice to see, that you have found your choice. That is a keeper!
Best Regards
Old Ford

Thanks for sharing pictures of that beautiful rifle. She's definitely a keeper!!

I see that you found yourself a fine looking left hand percussion rifle. I hop you find an equally fine flinter. When you do, please post some pictures.

I'm just now making contact with the Territorial Longrifles here in Yuma. This is all new to me as I fulfill a lofelong dream. I forget the nice gentlemen who sold me this rifle at a rediculously fair price, is sending me an old issue of MLM that has an article on the build - Mr, Ashe. Even with that 44 inch barrel it balances nicely
DSC00102.jpg
DSC00098.jpg

SPlais -
Well, I have learned over the years in muzzleloading to never say "they always did this, etc", but the signature on the barrel is very consistent with that of Robert Ashe. The script is identical, down to the style of the capital "A". Robert always used a "steple" type capital "A", rather than the conventional "modified O" normally found in script writing. But, as I stated earlier, I am being open minded and realize that there may have been another gunsmith "R Ashe" with an identical signature to that of Robert's.
In addition, the overall appearance and style of the rifle is also consistent to that of Robert's, including the color of the stain.
In this area, I have recently seen Ashe rifles priced in the area of $3-5000. But, it seems that a particular gunsmith's rifles are always worth more in their local region than anyplace else.
Again, a very beautiful rifle!
I am anxious to see what you learn from the MLM article.
8905c

Got to fire my new gun for the first time today. with a makeshift stand, the wrong size patches of unknow thinkness she shot a five shot group smaller than my hand at 50 yds with 40gr of power; the group was generally about 1.5" left and 1" high. I fired one shot at 100 yds and 45gr of powder she was about 2" wide left and 2" low. So I think she is going to be very nice once I get better organized.

That's a gorgeous gun! Cept' the feller that built it put the lock on the wrong side! :blah:

I was just in Yuma last weekend for the gun show. Whew, that dust storm reminded me of home (El Paso).

I received the Nov/Dec 1977 MLM article on the builder of my new rifle - Mr. Robert Ashe of Salesville, Ohio. The 1977 article states Mr. Ashe had been building rifles since 1972 and 'to date' had built 93 rifles. He was referred to as a'young man' in the 1977 article. I'm really disappointed to here he has passed away, I would have loved to talk to him about this rifle. It was beautifully made and I'm finding that it shoots very well. While I can't be sure, the article states that Mr. Ashe often used barrels from Bill Large. The article has part of a letter from Mr. Ashe that reads as follows: "I build rifles for the shooter and at a price the shooter can afford. Every rifle that I build is a shooter, no matter how fancy...I guess I build shooting wall hangers. I know that I'll never get rich at this business but I'm doing what I like to do and a lot of shooters can benefit from it." Well, Mr. Ashe, whereever you are, I'm one happy owner. :thumbsup:

SPlais -
Thanks for posting the MLM article. I felt fairly sure, and even more positive after seeing the signature, that the rifle was built by Robert Ashe. You commented on the 1977 article stating he was a young man. I believe when he passed 2-3 years ago, he was in his early 60's. That would make Robert in his early 30's in 1977.
Robert was an expert on the subject of muzzleloading rifles. And, he was always willing to share his wisdom with others. A master craftsman indeed.
Congratulations on owning such a fine rifle built by a great builder.
I hadn't checked on your follow-up regarding the MLM article recently. But, I am happy to see the rifle offically linked to Robert Ashe.
Thanks,
8905c

As I looked at more and more rifles it became clear Mr. Ashe was a true craftsman. the engraving, carving, inletting on the rifle is extensive and georgous. My one disappoint was to find it is most likely not a Large barrel. There are no visible barrel markings at all.

Back