• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first .36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230706_125810336_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230706_125911637_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230706_125842665_HDR.jpg

I went to my favorite gun shop today and bought this Spanish .36 cal longrifle. I think it's a pretty gun. The gun shop owner said he thought it was probably made in the 60s. I'm looking forward to shooting it, probably tomorrow.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I'll replace them. It was 100 degrees out when I took them and sweat was running in my eyes.

Cute little rifle. Have you gotten a chance to clean and oil the lock, barrel, triggers, etc. yet? I bet it's a load of fun to shoot. Try "food" setting on your phone camera, it does the thing that most do on point/click settings where it wants to focus on background.

I finally shot my new(?) .36 today. I believe they were the first shots that anyone fired with it. I shot five shots but was only able to recover two patches. I discovered before the first shot that, without a starter for a .36, that I could not load the .350 round balls with the "store bought" patches that I've been using on all my other long guns. I switched over to tee shirt material, lubing it with spit.
I shot sitting in a chair, resting across the back of another chair.
Five shots fired, three in the same hole, all in a target the size of a Coyote's head. I'm pleased.
IMG_20230718_114323641_HDR.jpg

All right good start. I am saying those patching materials are not treating you well the T shirt material too thin without a over powder wad. That other material seems to be course fibered/threads as its blowing apart on you.

Yeah, I have one full stock rifle with two piece stock but the brass separator is very thin, not more than 1/8" thick. Doesn't look too bad.

Coning those smallbores makes a HUGE difference. I coned my .32 about 1.5" deep and tapered gently enough that it just barely removed all the lands (deep lands, like .012") and I can thumb start a .312" RB with a .018" tight weave ticking patch below flush and cut it at the muzzle, then choke up on the rammer and put the ball all the way down without excessive force. It's tight and shoots tight but requires no short starter. .322" bore checked with pin gauge.

Yeah, I will cone the barrel. I watched Mike Bellavue's video. I love Mike's vids. A couple of my other muzzleloaders might get coned as well. Though this is the only shootable & assembled .36 caliber gun I also have .45s, .50s, and .54s. Two or three of each.

Looks good to me. I've been looking for a deal on a full stock small bore myself. My .36 and .40 are both half stock. Your rifle is quite nice and I hope you make plenty of meat with it.

VERY cool looking lil rifle. I have a .36 bobcat that wont shoot anything but very loose load of .350 ball, super rideculsoly thin cotten patch Like cheap curtain fabris) and saturated with pine sceneted bore butter. Try a supr thin patch and saturate well nd drop down to 20-25 grains. I bet that lil gun will shoot the group you posted at 50 yds!

Well, between your post and Pacanis' thread about his .32, I was inspired to get my little half stock .36 (CVA Squirrel Rifle) out and start prepping for squirrel season. Got out the rifle, and the bag, then headed back to the shop. Just too many knives to grind and wood to work today. But I propped it up in the corner of the shop and hung the bag with it. Maybe later this evening...

Yeah I plan to try some different loads next time.
VERY cool looking lil rifle. I have a .36 bobcat that wont shoot anything but very loose load of .350 ball, super rideculsoly thin cotten patch Like cheap curtain fabris) and saturated with pine sceneted bore butter. Try a supr thin patch and saturate well nd drop down to 20-25 grains. I bet that lil gun will shoot the group you posted at 50 yds!

I finally shot my new(?) .36 today. I believe they were the first shots that anyone fired with it. I shot five shots but was only able to recover two patches. I discovered before the first shot that, without a starter for a .36, that I could not load the .350 round balls with the "store bought" patches that I've been using on all my other long guns. I switched over to tee shirt material, lubing it with spit.
I shot sitting in a chair, resting across the back of another chair.
Five shots fired, three in the same hole, all in a target the size of a Coyote's head. I'm pleased.View attachment 237274
Nice I envy you guys being able to buy ml in just any gun store.not here

Not here either. We have a few pawn shops but all the BP stuff I find are half stock rifles that have been severely neglected. I'll bring one home and resurrect it from time to time, but no long rifles or smoothbores.

I REALLY need a 36 or 32. That is a nice rifle and great first outting.
Thanks. My collection has grown to almost 20 guns now and my goal is to find and own a half-stock .32 and a .36, hopefully older T/C guns. I love T/Cs, Traditions, and CVAs.

Not here either. We have a few pawn shops but all the BP stuff I find are half stock rifles that have been severely neglected. I'll bring one home and resurrect it from time to time, but no long rifles or smoothbores.
It seems like the best time, around here anyway, to find ML guns in pawn shops is in January - March. I think some people hunt during the seasons then decide a ML is not as much fun as they thought it would be. Some guns unfortunately have not been cleaned properly, but at that time they have not been sitting long. I hate it that some are just stuck back in a closet or under the bed and left for longer.

All right good start. I am saying those patching materials are not treating you well the T shirt material too thin without a over powder wad. That other material seems to be course fibered/threads as its blowing apart on you.

Tee shirt material is too stretchy and does not have a tight enough weave.
A lot of it has synthetic fibers blended in the weave.

Back