• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Build Won at the County Fair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
20375628_10156484221953242_2570161811532067958_n_zpsmc0jzrfv.jpg

That's a grand champion for overall woodworking and a 1st place for the "Builds from kit - adult" class. I need to go back and look some more because I couldn't find who the reserve grand champion was. Looks like it might have been this GORGEOUS carved bowl with a smooth as glass satin finish to it. Thing looked like polished marble.

I was wondering if it was going to be accepted or automatically DQ'd for being a firearm. None of the rules said anything. The exhibit building has a "no open carry of firearms" because of the city it's in.

I walked in with the build in a case. The check-in was hard to find. I saw one woman with a crowd behind a table give me a funny look so I walked straight to her and said, "Is this check in?"

"For photography..." she said.

I wandered some more past the baked goods and canning tables and headed for a sign that said "Crafts". A bunch of women were hanging around quilting entries. I headed for one and another caught my eye and pointed to the case. "Woodworking?" she asked.

"Yes! Where do I check in?" I said with a smile.

"Back in the corner."

I headed back there and saw a big sign that said "Needlecraft" and sighed a little. I poked around and saw a small printer paper sign that hand wrote "Woodworking".

I walked up and said, "Hi, can I check in for woodworking?"

The woman signaled to a man who met me at the table. "What do you have here?" he asked.

"Hand built muzzleloader."

Before opening the case, I wanted to reassure him that I'd taken safety precautions. I'd also brought tools in case they were going to make me take off the barrel or something and just judge the stock but ruin the presentation.

I said, "It doesn't have the percussion nipple, there's a CBI (clear barrel indicator) in it, and it's trigger loc...."

"I'm not worried about guns," he said reassuringly with a smile.

While he looked for my registration, one of my daughters' friends walked up with her entry. A hand carved serving spoon.

"Is that your entry?" I asked.

"Yep, I gouged out the bowl, but I did all the handle with rasps."

I admired the smoothness of the chisel work in the bowl and said, "I'm glad I'm not competing against you."

The man checking me in tied my entry tag to the case and said he'd put it in the back right away. "Ignorance of it adds to the security," he said.

I thanked him and collected my tools from the case pockets. "That was a lot easier than I thought it would be," I said to myself.

Then I realized I wouldn't get to shoot it for a couple of weeks. Oh, drat.

BUGGER! Photobucket just changed their policy and their pricing is a joke!

Not much to see. Just basically the hammer with a purple and white pretty ribbon and an orange weed whacker string through the touch hole.

Back