• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rifle Shop - Great response!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhDBrewer

Buckskin Baxter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...
Traveling to the CLA show, sitting in the Dallas airport, I was talking to my friend Ron (who is VERY knowledgeable about Jägers & flintlock gun building) about wheellocks and building one. He said just order a set of castings from TRS and check them out. I thought.. why not, about the price of a Chambers flintlock, so I called them... and... they answered!
Judy (I think that was her name, very nice on the phone.) Asked me what I wanted. I asked for a #535 wheellock set of castings. She put me on hold to go check stock...
She came back shortly and told me they have them in stock and wondered if I would like the screw set also for them (I would have forgot...) I did, she asked if I wanted anything else before she went to check on the screw set. I asked her what wheellock "key" / spanner wrenches fit this set of castings. She put me on hold and came back with the info. She checked to ensure that the "key" fit and was in stock!
So... I said ship them! She took my info and said that they would ship out the next day and I should have them early next week!
Ron told me to go buy a lottery ticket since he has not heard of anyone getting through by phone or getting parts without a lot of waiting.
When they arrive i will post a review of the parts.
I told Judy that I was surprised that anyone answered the phone and she told me that they are working hard to get orders out and keep their customers happy.

Take care all!

William

Please document the build and results. It would be nice to see success with their casting. Be aware the dents for the screw holes are in the wrong place.

Others have been very frustrated by their castings. I was unable to get one of their wheel locks to work after it was built by a custom maker of note. I even made a new wheel from scratch.

Well... update.
TRS either ships USPS or UPS. Both services state ground standard shipping is to my area from Oklahoma as 4 or 5 days. My parts have still not arrived. I placed the order with them on the 8th and their ship day is every Friday. The next Friday was the 11th. It is now the 20th. So.... I was just given lip service. Either they did not have them in stock (most likely) or they did not ship them when they stated they would.
I was hoping to report back that all was well and they were again giving good service.
I will keep all posted as I am anxious to start building this lock. It will be a great learning project. If the parts do not come in I will just make them from drawings.
Sorry to have to report this....
William

I’ve only been waiting a few months for a Harpers Ferry pistol but there’s a member here who’s been waiting for 2 1/2 years for the same 1805 parts set…
Just sayin’

Unless TRS had something in stock reconsider ordering it. They are a very small family run company. They usually do not have catalog items in stock. They do sporadic runs of various casting sets. IT can be years between parts runs for a particular item. They wait until they have sufficient orders to make the waxes and get the castings made. They then make the rough stocks in house.

Really the best thing is to see what they have in stock now and if you want one order it. It will come quickly.

Well... I would not have done the thread if I did not think this was going to turn out great. Bashing a company was NOT my intention. My intention was to show that have improved the situation.
The parts, I was told, were in-stock and they would ship out the next Friday, their shipping day. I really wanted to bolster their image.
I appreciate all that they have done for the hobby/obsession.
William

Unless TRS had something in stock reconsider ordering it. They are a very small family run company. They usually do not have catalog items in stock. They do sporadic runs of various casting sets. IT can be years between parts runs for a particular item. They wait until they have sufficient orders to make the waxes and get the castings made. They then make the rough stocks in house.

Really the best thing is to see what they have in stock now and if you want one order it. It will come quickly.
TRS is a very specialty company. I believe they can only send their waxes to the foundry by delivering them in person as it is too risky for them to melt in transit otherwise. They do limited runs based on demand and what they can gang together in a run at the foundry when the foundry is able to do a run for them.

In this modern era we are used to internet-speed service where we order things and within a few days we get it.

You have to look at TRS as a bespoke custom casting house. They are a way to get parts that there are almost no other ways to get. Sometimes it can take years to have them made.

Yes... I fully understand the workings of their company.
BUT, they told me they had the items, they went to check and they were there, in stock, AND they told me they would ship the next Friday.

Either they were lost in shipping OR they LIED to me. I do appreciate people stepping up making excuses for the company. BUT, if the parts were not in stock or they were going to ship in a month. So be it.
I just feel lied to. That is the issue. Just tell the truth, I can handle the truth!
I think I should delete this thread. It does not make me feel good bashing a company or other peoples opinions. This is supposed to be a positive place to learn and enjoy muzzleloading. See lots of eye-candy!
I really was hoping this was going to be a positive post.
Sorry I started this...

It’s the way things are now.
Not just now with this company. It's the way it's always been. You either luck out and get what they say they have or you don't. I tried to business with them 30 years ago and couldn't make it work. If you are a hobbyist and can wait for the parts for a lengthy time then this place will work for you.
Unfortunately, I had a time table I had to meet for my customers so it didn't work out. These days if I find any TRS parts on the secondary market I buy them up and have my local foundry cast them.

On advice here I ordered a pistol from Loyalist Arms, and talking to them, they were very nice, it’s clear that is a family business as well. My expectations are pretty low for such things. I think we’ve all been Amazoned into unrealistic expectations about turnaround because Bezos sort of cracked the code. He made it so easy to buy cheap Chinese manure that‘s at your door tomorrow it raised expectations.
That’s not the same thing as ordering something and it never comming. Thats nothing but stealing and horrible business which is rightly called out.

Yes... I fully understand the workings of their company.
BUT, they told me they had the items, they went to check and they were there, in stock, AND they told me they would ship the next Friday.

Either they were lost in shipping OR they LIED to me. I do appreciate people stepping up making excuses for the company. BUT, if the parts were not in stock or they were going to ship in a month. So be it.

Yes I agree with you. I wasn't commenting on your situation in particular just TRS in general.

Latest posts

Back