• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone fretting/thinking about building their own muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, boy you got that right about building a gun with keys and a standing breech. I'm in the middle of such a build, a Chambers English fowler and am doing just that, a standing breech, found after getting the breech inletted that I needed more wood in the breech area and had to sand a flat and glue more wood! So, aside from just the normal amount of work I'm having to do additional inletting and deal with gluing. I'll have to get some pic's up.

I hear you, I bit off a great big hunk also, so far so good but man is it taking forever......

That fowler is looking good! Keep posting pics!

I love your post, I built a kit traditions kentucky.50 cal and was hooked, I just finished my third build, the biggest and craziest yet , a 4 bore flintlock take your time and have fun, I think my next might be a philidephia darrenger

Don't be afraid just be careful

IMG_20230211_143740.jpg
IMG_20230220_130659.gif

Way back when, the CVA kits looked like a piece of cake and like many, I put together one of their derringers. I saw the rifles and felt those were just as easy. After sending money to a Florida man to build me a left handed Hawken and he never delivered, I was back a square one and ordered one of the then new Sharon Hawken kits. It took far more work than I ever imagined. I was determined to do a good job and like others, spent more on tools than what I could have purchased the finished rifle from Sharon. After all these years I am still pretty pleased with the work I did but it certainly taught me my limitations!
I learned my limitations building my FDC, too. And I'm determined to expand them! It took me I suppose about the best part of two years, from ordering the first part, to final coat of finish before I could shoot it. Of course there were weeks when I never went near my work bench. So there's that. Someone once told me that you have to make an object at least three times in order to get a decent product. Well, he may have been off in number, but in value he was correct. It will take many times. And that's where the fun is, I say. It isn't the destination, it's the journey.

Bill, I bought an Indian flute once. Worked hard and could play a few tunes.
Had a friend, who had musical talent. After about six months I showed off to him what I could do.
He had never seen an Indian flute, but thought it pretty nice. And wanted to give it a go.
Made two or three toots, listened to a couple of tunes and then set to playing. Sounded just like Carlos Nakai
I gave him the flute
Having been messing up gun builds for over forty years, and having learned a lot from your vids I have to chuckle at your statement. I feel like I’m stuggeling to get a toot while your Nakai😊
Kinda like me with Wives, I never got it right but understanding Horses, Dawgs, Children, Cats, Cattle and Guns theres nary a problem.

Now hold on there, Eric. I think you're being a little too quick to pass sentence here. Having been a teacher for over twenty years, and a student for more than fifty, methinks it's more a question of the quality of the teacher. And also, I'll admit, the dedication of the student, for dedication, passion, and drive trump talent every time. I've seen it in my students.

But if a teacher goes in there with the attitude that the student is going to turn out substandard work, or worse just plain fail. you know what happens? The student meets the teacher's expectations every time.
Ha ha. I can make most things, but my grandad was a woodwork master taught me everything Then did an engineering apprenticeship. Hated it. But done well in life not rich but ok always making things at a week away from 80 One son is a clone of me, the other into guitars and music. Hates getting his hands dirty , but has skinned rabbits and pheasant so I give him a few good points. Takes all sorts to make world go round. Long as you try to do something goes down well with me, I’ll help anybody then

Love from across the big fun, overcast with a cold wind expecting rain west of London. No gunny stuff today it’s our 55th anniversary

Hey guys, I am no expert by a long shot, but remember when I had the first hankering to build a rifle. I thought, "this is beyond my capabilities", but pursued it anyway. One day I was at a shoot and spoke to a fellow shooter who had a beautiful long rifle. After a nice discussion about his build I wondered what his background was. I asked "what do you do for a living?" He said, "I shoot cars". (painted cars for a living) Wow, I thought, if he can do it so can I! Anyway to all you guys and gals too, that would like to make a rifle, don't think about it, go for it. It will not be the best looking one at the range, but it will be one YOU made.
I saw this video and want to share. This guy says this is his first build muzzleloader.. His work is not refined as a seasoned riflesmith, but, remember he is not a seasoned riflesmith. He could/should give inspiration to anyone thinking about building his/her own.
Larry

Nice video. Hated the music but I enjoyed the idea. Hope mine turns out as well as his.

If I can do it, anyone can. It took me 5 months.
If one man can do it another can.
But yes one has to want to do it, have the Discipline to do it, be willing to learn and the dichotomy of wanting to be perfect but not beating one’s self up for minor mistakes
Cause it’s not ok to screw up an inlet, but it’s not the end of the world and your gun will still make you proud

I thought about trying my hand at building one for years, when I had time. I will turn 54 this year and I decided to make time as it seems life doesn't stop. I am working on 2 rifles, have learned a lot already. May not be show stoppers when I am done but they will be mine and time will not have been wasted. I subscribe to the "what one man can do another can do" school of thought too.

I have had an UnderHammer kit for month n half. I have had to sand the Forearm twice because my work area is very damp. 1st stain coating would not dry just gummed up. So i am waiting for warmer temps. The butt stock is some work n going slow the pre-cut for butt plate was not done well. If i clean it up to fit them my LOP becomes on the short side. I think it will be a work in progress, i can change this n that as i go

Latest posts

Back