• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1st black powder pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a shop and found what looks to be an unfired 1860 pistol look up date it was made in 2007. The owner had it in the back of the case with no price. I looked at it and asked him the price he said $100 he said theirs a holster with it.

Attachments

• BA426CD2-B479-4395-93A8-86D9B92A2380.jpeg
    BA426CD2-B479-4395-93A8-86D9B92A2380.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 3F5D0C80-D9D6-4513-977B-8F67A974225C.jpeg
    3F5D0C80-D9D6-4513-977B-8F67A974225C.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
It had a BD in a square I will recheck when it get home. I was thinking it’s a 44 caliber.
They were called .44s but were actually.45s. Just like the .36 revolvers, they’re actually .38s. Confusing, but that’s the way they made them in the day and reproductions.

Nice job on running that deal down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a side bar and since this is your first BP pistol ..please be aware that the wedge is not properly or safely installed as the spring lock built into the wedge is not in place ..so pleaze correct before shooting ..it also appears to be cocked in the slot channel and you might have some trash in the arbor pilot hole that is keeping the barrel assembly from going to battery

Enjoy that great buy

Bear

Nice job on running that deal down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a side bar and since this is your first BP pistol ..please be aware that the wedge is not properly or safely installed as the spring lock built into the wedge is not in place ..so pleaze correct before shooting ..it also appears to be cocked in the slot channel and you might have some trash in the arbor pilot hole that is keeping the barrel assembly from going to battery

Enjoy that great buy

Bear
Thanks

.32 caliber Colt?
The 1849 pocket and the early Patterson Colts were 32 caliber.

The manufacturers were just beginning to define bore sizes. The bore on muzzleloading rifles was defined by the land to land diameter. The land to land diameter on a 44 caliber cap and ball pistol is about 0.440. The groove to grove diameter is about 0.451. The forcing cone compresses the soft lead bullet to the groove to groove diameter. So, a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver uses a 45 caliber bullet or ball.

.32 caliber Colt?

The manufacturers were just beginning to define bore sizes. The bore on muzzleloading rifles was defined by the land to land diameter. The land to land diameter on a 44 caliber cap and ball pistol is about 0.440. The groove to grove diameter is about 0.451. The forcing cone compresses the soft lead bullet to the groove to groove diameter. So, a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver uses a 45 caliber bullet or ball.

I gauge pin the bore it takes a .439 pin the C bore takes a .441 pin.

Back