• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2nd Scratch Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice job on it…. For what’s only your second go’round, that’s amazing. You’re showing some hidden talents that need to be utilized more and more! You’re definitely on the right track.

It looks good! I like the lines and also that Rupp patch box is a great fit. It reminds me of a Kibler I used for deer hinting!
I like using a paste wax finish on my guns now. It gives nice protection and can add great low-luster to a stock. This is how my similar-looking .54 looks with the wax finish over varnish.

Attachments

• 3 d.jpg
    3 d.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3 b.jpg
    3 b.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 0
Lookin' good!
One of the quirks I have - after the tung oil finish has set-up and the gun is assembled - is to rub mink oil over the whole thing. Then wipe if off with a soft cloth. I don't know if that does anything, really - but to me, it seems to bring the wood's grain out a little bit and it doesn't hurt the metal. Like I said - it's a quirk.

I am curious about those pins though - good idea to hold things together temporarily.

It looks good! I like the lines and also that Rupp patch box is a great fit. It reminds me of a Kibler I used for deer hinting!
I like using a paste wax finish on my guns now. It gives nice protection and can add great low-luster to a stock. This is how my similar-looking .54 looks with the wax finish over
Wow... Beautiful!.... what paste wax did you use.
Love the beaver tails!... I was going to do beaver tails but chickened out...

I am curious about those pins though - good idea to hold things together temporarily.
Yeah... I had not cut the pins to size yet. I have made them permanent. Good idea about the mink oil.... I have some mink oil. I may try that out on some scraps.

I took my new build out yesterday morning to see how she would perform ... took advantage of the cool weather .... wow.... did great! I'm happy with the results! And the stocks color really popped in bright sunlight.

Made some videos with my iphone.... my brother (who lives 3 hours away) wanted to see it in action.

Happy Thursday GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry, not a Kibler…I enjoy building from scratch… block of wood… It takes some time, but… I’m retired 😁. Got a shop full of tools. Enjoying the retired life!
It’s been a week since the last coat of Sutherland Wells Tung oil. I believe it’s hardened enough. Lightly polished with a buffer and old t-shirt.
But, I have a question. Should I apply some paste wax for a little gloss? And will the paste wax seal and harden the surface? Or should I leave it as is? Need some pro advice, please.
I know it’s a very dark color. But that’s my Intent…. I also plan to cover the brass with brass black, then polish it back.
Should make for a great range rifle…. Or for Deer Hunting.
Deer season will be here soon!
Beautiful work. I wish I had the talent

Thank you Robert… she turn out beautifully! I used Howard’s Feed n Wax with a small amount of buffing. It’s a dark finish, which is what I was looking for, and when it gets out in the sun the figure pops.
I used some super blue to darken the brass. It shoots as good as it looks!

Attachments

• IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3699.jpeg
    IMG_3699.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back