• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2nd Scratch Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry, not a Kibler…I enjoy building from scratch… block of wood… It takes some time, but… I’m retired 😁. Got a shop full of tools. Enjoying the retired life!
It’s been a week since the last coat of Sutherland Wells Tung oil. I believe it’s hardened enough. Lightly polished with a buffer and old t-shirt.
But, I have a question. Should I apply some paste wax for a little gloss? And will the paste wax seal and harden the surface? Or should I leave it as is? Need some pro advice, please.
I know it’s a very dark color. But that’s my Intent…. I also plan to cover the brass with brass black, then polish it back.
Should make for a great range rifle…. Or for Deer Hunting.
Deer season will be here soon!

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I like it like it is, too. It's probably a little dull in appearance on account of being scraped, but to me it looks quite authentic except for the "bling" that you already have plans to fix. At most I'd put on another coat of tung oil and leave it alone. Wax just makes a mess and ruins the feel of the gun in your hands.

Leave it the way it is, with use and cleaning as you oil the lock and barrel rub a wee bit of oil on the stock, 0r just use the palms of your hands and rub down the stock, I do believe it will age right in there for you. Nice looking gun.

I like it like it is, too. It's probably a little dull in appearance on account of being scraped, but to me it looks quite authentic except for the "bling" that you already have plans to fix. At most I'd put on another coat of tung oil and leave it alone. Wax just makes a mess and ruins the feel of the gun in your hands.
You do nice work sir.:thumb:

Thank You… you’re awfully kind!….. but it’s got lot of ”warts”…. But not as many as my first. Haha.

They get better each time. One thing that keeps driving me to build the next one is not making the same mistakes as the last one.

I will say this, though, a generally decent inletting job with a small gap here or there, some hand tool marks left in wood and metal, a sleek stock with slight symmetry imperfections, and other marks of being truly hand-made but not by one of the three top builders in the world, makes a gun feel "real". Buckskinners in the 18th century were not getting H&H or Parker-Hale quality perfection for their stack of hides. Perfect gun looks synthetic to me, that's why I like to build them as well as I can and then use the heck out of them so the wear and dings and scratches start to blend in the too-perfect parts with the mistakes and it all comes together. Kibler's kits are just too danged perfect....but a lot of field use starts to bring them around!

They get better each time. One thing that keeps driving me to build the next one is not making the same mistakes as the last one.
Already planning my next build!….. Although I’m not quite through with this one.

Thanks to all you guys for your reply. Don’t know what us newbie’s would do without your knowledge and words of encouragement. 👍

Shiny finish and polished brass?????? Lipstick on a pig! .......bling does not fit a magnificent flintlock like yours! All you need to do, in my heavily biased opinion, is to rub burnt powder residue into the brass to age and kill the bling. Please, no wax! Also not to fear handling marks!

Shiny finish and polished brass?????? Lipstick on a pig! .......bling does not fit a magnificent flintlock like yours! All you need to do, in my heavily biased opinion, is to rub burnt powder residue into the brass to age and kill the bling. Please, no wax! Also not to fear handling marks!

I don't like shiny brass either, polish it then age it. Or let it age naturally.

It appears even the trigger guard on his build needs sanding polishing etc..

Nice work! I agree with the no wax and the brass black. To each his own but I'm not into the shiny brass, fact the 2 customs I have are both iron, no brass but that's just me. Look forward to seeing your next one.

Nice rifle. Not to open the whole 18th century workman like argument, but the brass looks like it has file marks on it( buttplate in the pics) That needs to be polished out, then age if you like to. Polish is not necessarily meant shiney, but a smooth even finish on the surface. Id use a little paste wax. I did on many a stock, and it doesn't add too much of a shine. And it does dull after a little bit, and adds a little protection.
But to each their own!

PS, it better than a Kibler because you created it with your own hands. Kibler assemblers will now unite and say I'm a hater, but I'm not, I just like the creative process of building a rifle from scratch like you.

Sorry, not a Kibler…I enjoy building from scratch… block of wood… It takes some time, but… I’m retired 😁. Got a shop full of tools. Enjoying the retired life!
It’s been a week since the last coat of Sutherland Wells Tung oil. I believe it’s hardened enough. Lightly polished with a buffer and old t-shirt.
But, I have a question. Should I apply some paste wax for a little gloss? And will the paste wax seal and harden the surface? Or should I leave it as is? Need some pro advice, please.
I know it’s a very dark color. But that’s my Intent…. I also plan to cover the brass with brass black, then polish it back.
Should make for a great range rifle…. Or for Deer Hunting.
Deer season will be here soon!
Absolutely beautiful job. I really am drawn to the dark color yet it doesn’t hide the wood beneath. I’ve always thought that style patch box is perfect. Your rifle has just the right amount of ornamentation for my tastes. Congratulations on a true build from a plank. You should be very proud.
Snoot

I really like the color you have on that stock, how did you get that color? I have a plank that I want to be pretty much exactly that color when I am done.

I'd like to see the brass finished more finely and the pores in the wood filled but that is 100% MY personal preference, I do appreciate your rifle just as it was built very much. It looks great.

Latest posts

Back