• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black MZ (again)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resolve

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Good evening,
At the end of 2018 I ran into a product called Black MZ, a black powder substitute. I didn’t know much about it so I went online and saw it was discontinued, I couldn’t get all that much info about it on the Alliant website; they recommended it for 50 cal and above, it needs to be compressed, and I believe they also said that it wasn’t meant to be used with any type of lubes. However, in some forums (not this one) I read where many shooters were using it in cap and ball revolvers and obtaining good results. I bought a pound at Sportsman’s Warehouse and tried it in my 36 caliber revolvers. It worked great for me and was half the price of what I was using, so I went back and bought a bunch more. Since then, I’ve developed wrist and hand issues and cannot shoot revolvers anymore. I’m now wondering if I can use the Black MZ in any of my rifles, or rifles I plan to get in the future. So, I searched the posts here and was able to find more info on Black MZ and how it is now sold under the Shooters World brand. Apparently, many folks use it in rifles. Here are the questions I couldn’t find or missed answers to during my search of related posts on this site.
  • Can you use it with a lubed patch?
  • Is it a volume-to-volume ratio with the amount of black powder you would normally use?
  • Can it be used in rifles with a smaller caliber than 50?
I’m hoping the Docs will be able to do something to improve my wrists, but if not I’m curious to know if I could use the rest of the BMZ in rifles.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
R

…..tried it in my 36 caliber revolvers. It worked great for me and was half the price of what I was using, so I went back and bought a bunch more. Since then, I’ve developed wrist and hand issues and cannot shoot revolvers anymore.
36 caliber revolvers tend to have mild recoil, so this idea may be of no help, but have you considered reducing your powder charge? May require the use of a filler, but as long as you are sending the ball down range, they are fun to shoot. Basically what I did when I shot SASS with cap and ball revolvers. Idea was to hit the steel target, not poke a hole through it. For speed, extra recoil didn’t help.

If your wrist and hand issues create loading problems, maybe consider a cylinder loading stand.

Thanks for the ideas SD, I appreciate it. However, I pretty much shot a reduced load, but it wasn't so much the recoil as I just couldn't hold the pistol up after firing the second shot, no strength left in the wrists. The arthritis in my fingers is bending them at the knuckles so that doesn't help either. I had pocket navies and police, they worked well for a time but I had to stop them too. If the Docs can help me I'll start shooting them again, if not I'll sell them and stick to rifles.
Thanks again,
R

Thanks for the ideas SD, I appreciate it. However, I pretty much shot a reduced load, but it wasn't so much the recoil as I just couldn't hold the pistol up after firing the second shot, no strength left in the wrists. The arthritis in my fingers is bending them at the knuckles so that doesn't help either. I had pocket navies and police, they worked well for a time but I had to stop them too. If the Docs can help me I'll start shooting them again, if not I'll sell them and stick to rifles.
Thanks again,
R
Well if that’s the case, have at it in your long guns. If you have ignition problems, toss 10-20 grains of blackpowder down the bore before the Black MZ and it should light up. Personally tried the MZ and found it worked, but accuracy wasn’t there over time at longer ranges (300 yards or so) with paperpatched bullets. Suspect the stuff changed over time from moisture (plenty of humidity in North Carolina), but for shorter ranges and plinking it should work fine.

Good luck with the doctors. I have my own list of medical challenges that I believe have something to do with that born on or use by date.

Thanks again,
R
Good luck!

Back