• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaden173

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to muzzleloading and recently found out about muzzleloader kits. The ones I'm looking at are the "Traditions" ones as they're fairly cheap. I watched some videos on it but I don't know which one to get. I liked the Kentucky percussion rifle but I don't know if it would be good for what I plan to use it for, which is hunting. I will link the site that I found them on, Traditions™ Muzzleloaders | Shop All Models | Muzzle-Loaders.com. Thank you in advance.

It’s a good starter.
It lacks some correct aspects of being a ‘good’ muzzleloader, but very cost effective. For a little more the Great Plains rifle from Lyman turns out a better gun.
Kibler turns out about the best but you pay for it. Other companies turn out more complex kits that require more experience to do well

I've built one I liked it infact I put two balls in a single hole at 25 yards,traditions make very good kits! I know own 4 rifles 2 being traditions and 2 cva! The .50 cal hawken is easy to build and will hunt well!!!

Hello everyone! I'm new to muzzleloading and recently found out about muzzleloader kits. The ones I'm looking at are the "Traditions" ones as they're fairly cheap. I watched some videos on it but I don't know which one to get. I liked the Kentucky percussion rifle but I don't know if it would be good for what I plan to use it for, which is hunting. I will link the site that I found them on, Traditions™ Muzzleloaders | Shop All Models | Muzzle-Loaders.com. Thank you in advance.
Easy to complete kits, well functioning, the .50 cal will work well with very light 30 grain charges for birds, squirrels or rabbits (make head shots) and will be great practice for deer size game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had no problems with traditions made Guns. Every one I’ve ever had owned shot really well. Their flintlock locks aren’t the best by a long shot but they will work fine with a little tinkering and patience. On the other hand I’ve done or assisted with a few of their kits in the last few years. Both kits were way out of spec meaning they did not fit well at all from the factory even after a lot of work. Barrel channels were too far forward or back. Drums/touch holes did not line up with the lock and wedge keys didn’t line up. I’m not sure if they are using “seconds/blem” stocks in their kits or what. If you’re going to get a traditions I’d suggest you get a factory built gun or go with a Lyman Great Plains. Get the best you can afford. Lyman or Pedersoli kits are top notch.

I just picked up a percussion CVA rifle, at a pawn shop. It was ugly and poorly cared for but the bore is fine and the lock/trigger system is great. I am using it as I would a kit. When finished it will not resemble its factory appearance. I like doing that better than buying a kit; it was less than half of a kit cost and I could assure that it worked properly before my purchase. I have done that several times and never failed to be satisfied with the outcome. Keep your eyes open and haunt the pawn shops. Polecat

I think if it were me I would go with a Lyman kit. Shop around for best prices. It is too bad they don't make the Lyman Trade rifle in kit form now.

I have a Traditions Woodsman Hawken. factory finished. Good solid gun, would make a great hunting rifle. I have had mine over 15 years, never a misfire, never any parts failures. With 1:48 twist it will shoot balls and conicals equally well. The kits are pretty easy to finish but don't just slap it together. Good idea to read up on stock shaping, then you can tweak the build to your liking.

Good Advice above. Before the gun, think about yourself? Do you like home workshop projects?
Do you like to tinker until it is right? Are you handy with fixing things? Do you finish what you
start? Do you have a friend or family member to help out who has done a kit before? Also,
when will you need this? Will you have the time to donate? I think TREEMAN and DALE LILLY
have good options to think about. Get something already made and improve it if needed.
Also, where money is a key consideration, I make deals with myself, for example in order to
justify spending on something I want I agree with myself to maybe sell or trade another toy
or item I have- or do some weekend work to raise some of it. Then you might be able to
reach a little higher and get the more expensive rifle. DALE LILLY'S Idea to rescue something
from a pawnshop is great PROVIDING you know how to check over the gun carefully and not
get stung. Let us know what you do.

Traditions deerhunter rifle kit. Not expensive, easy to put together. For a no frills deer rifle, it will do.
I currently own 2, 45 & 50 caliber.
Maybe not the prettiest gun but they shoot good. Plus I don't worry about a scratches or dings.
Just a plain old woods gun.

Back