• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a .45 Flintlock from CVA? Still in the box. I believe they quit making these in 84??

Attachments

• 20240205_194051.jpg
    20240205_194051.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240205_194905.jpg
    20240205_194905.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240318_104456.jpg
    20240318_104456.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
How about a .45 Flintlock from CVA? Still in the box. I believe they quit making these in 84??
Those are still being made today. The only change are the name on the box and a huge increase in the price. If the OP is looking for something that is HC then this one doesn't even come close.

I have one that I picked up in 2009 and it's a good shooter, no problem with the lock, although it is a little slower on ignition. Haven't shot it in a long while. If I were to start shooting it again, I will cone the flash hole, which should improve the ignition time.

Like anything else, buy the best you can. There is some good rifles on here for sale. I would start there
"buy the best you can"
Dealing with a poor tool can spoil your day in the shop, at the range, or in the field. Had a sign above my desk prior to retirement:
Price. Quality. Service. Pick any two.

Git urr gun built , and git to shooting it. Too late for ya to turn around and leave the m/l ing rabbit hole. Now it's time for power horn , and shot pouch. Then you'll be a real Danial Boone , with lotsa company here on the Forum. I started off w/ a rifle just like you're building in 1972. I'm excited for ya.

Well, it's 3/4 of a year since the original post so it would be interesting to know what the OP ended up with!

If he's still looking, the Traditions kit comes from Spain and is the same as CVA used to sell. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle I built from a kit and have modified over the years, including replacing the barrel with a 7/8" across the flats in .45, a Leman style trigger guard from Track of the Wolf, and modifying the double set trigger to a single. I have used this rifle for many years and have a wood chip in the jaws for dry firing almost every night. The lock has functioned well for me, especially after polishing the internals with a diamond hone. Is it HC? No, but it does look like something built from parts available in a backwoods community. And it is reliable as heck, as long as I remember to put powder first, THEN the patched ball....

For an 1803 kit, Pecatonica has one: http://longrifles-pr.com/harpersferry.shtml Notice that it does NOT come with the stock but there is a link so you can get the grade of wood you want.

I have one that I picked up in 2009 and it's a good shooter, no problem with the lock, although it is a little slower on ignition. Haven't shot it in a long while. If I were to start shooting it again, I will cone the flash hole, which should improve the ignition time.
question do you have a problem with the trigger pull? I will be posting later this week on an old CVA Pistol kit that I rescued from the junk cabinet. Will also have info on how I modified the trigger that was used on a lot of the old CVA's to drastically reduce the trigger pull.

I am in total agreement. Kibler’s colonial lock is the finest lock I have ever owned or seen. I don’t think any other production lock has a posted bridle that fits into holes in the lock plate. This keeps the tumbler truly centered and does not count on screws to retain perfect alignment.
cva did it back in the early 70's they also had the advantage of a adjustable sear

I am in total agreement. Kibler’s colonial lock is the finest lock I have ever owned or seen. I don’t think any other production lock has a posted bridle that fits into holes in the lock plate. This keeps the tumbler truly centered and does not count on screws to retain perfect alignment.

cva did it back in the early 70's they also had the advantage of a adjustable sear

Currently working on an old CVA pistol kit that someone screwed the lock up and then donated as a prize at a blanket shoot. I found an old Japanese lock that fit the lock inlet perfectly, another blanket shoot prize and only God knows how long I have had them. Blew me away when I took that lock apart, It had a posted bridle. Seems to be a really nice lock.

I have several CVA's that are in the multiple thousand's of rounds and haven't broke a tumble yet
Yep. That was only the 1000 I put through it. I bought it used and I know the previous owner shot it a lot also. It was one of the most accurate guns I ever had. I should have kept it. I like those CVA guns.

Well, it's 3/4 of a year since the original post so it would be interesting to know what the OP ended up with!

If he's still looking, the Traditions kit comes from Spain and is the same as CVA used to sell. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle I built from a kit and have modified over the years, including replacing the barrel with a 7/8" across the flats in .45, a Leman style trigger guard from Track of the Wolf, and modifying the double set trigger to a single. I have used this rifle for many years and have a wood chip in the jaws for dry firing almost every night. The lock has functioned well for me, especially after polishing the internals with a diamond hone. Is it HC? No, but it does look like something built from parts available in a backwoods community. And it is reliable as heck, as long as I remember to put powder first, THEN the patched ball....

For an 1803 kit, Pecatonica has one: http://longrifles-pr.com/harpersferry.shtml Notice that it does NOT come with the stock but there is a link so you can get the grade of wood you want.
@Winterhawk said:
“ Is it HC? No, but it does look like something built from parts available in a backwoods community.”
This is an excellent point. How many backwoods, bubba’d or otherwise guns from earlier times were actually somewhat historically correct based on their existence during their respective eras have survived?
One can only wonder what Alvin York used in his backwoods competition and what it looked like. It was apparently quite accurate. He and his family didn’t possess the financial means to have the ‘best’. I’ve heard many glowing accounts on CVA barrels accuracy and have no reason to doubt it.
But if historically correct is someone’s goal, better choices can be made all based on needs, wants and expendable funds.

1803 Harper, the only place you want to go is The rifle Shoppe.
All Barrels for these are 54 or 58. You will have to get a 50 cal barrel from a maker.
Jess used to use Green Mt, but I dont even know if they are around any more.
No, he doesn’t. A huge wait for a pile of rough cast parts. Not if he’s not done that before.

Supposing that someone did get the (apparently mediocre) Traditions with their less-than-perfect lock; why can't the lock be tweaked into better functioning?

What is the actual difference between a great and fast lock and one that is a few miliseconds slower? Could a few minutes with a dremmel make a difference?

My ideal outcome will be the economy Traditions, followed by a Kibler, followed by a Chambers followed by .......
It can be. Do a LOT of reading and listen less to the internet experten and keyboard warriors. Do not get in a hurry.

Yep. That was only the 1000 I put through it. I bought it used and I know the previous owner shot it a lot also. It was one of the most accurate guns I ever had. I should have kept it. I like those CVA guns.
The first M.L. rifle I bought was a C.V.A. . It was as accurate as any I have had up to now. A friend of mine was amazed at how accurate it was and after I got my Ithaca Hawkin he pestered me about selling my C.V.A. so much I gave in and let him have it for $100.00. This was in the late seventies. I have regretted it ever sense.

The first M.L. rifle I bought was a C.V.A. . It was as accurate as any I have had up to now. A friend of mine was amazed at how accurate it was and after I got my Ithaca Hawkin he pestered me about selling my C.V.A. so much I gave in and let him have it for $100.00. This was in the late seventies. I have regretted it ever sense.
I actually had been a member of the NMLRA for a year or two before I even had a rifle. My first rifle was a CVA Mountain Rifle kit back when they first came out with them, I bought the first one I saw. I remember there were several places around where I lived that were selling those CVA Kentucky kits for 50 or 60 dollars. Considering what they sell for today I wish I had bought a bunch of them back then and stored them somewhere, hind sight can be a gripe.
Don't know where gripe came from that isn't what I wrote.

Last edited:
Back