• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleload shotgun availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtlancer

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading and have recently started looking at buying a shotgun for upland bird hunting.
I was frustrated to see how few manufacturers there are of shotguns and how expensive they are. Can someone explain this to me? I would have thought that BP shotguns would be quite common.

I lucked out n found a 20GA dbl brl on gunbroker years ago for $249.00. One lock hung up and would require two drops to fire. I removed a bit of wood and its good as new. Just gotta look. If you get into them check out posts here. We are having a blast shooting for patterns etc. There is a 10GA dbl here for sale in the classifieds.

Good luck!

I am new to muzzleloading and have recently started looking at buying a shotgun for upland bird hunting.
I was frustrated to see how few manufacturers there are of shotguns and how expensive they are. Can someone explain this to me? I would have thought that BP shotguns would be quite common.

There's definitely a missed market opportunity, for a cheap single barrel muzzle loading shotgun.
Especially in a variety of gauges.

Most people that own a BP gun will own a rifle. Usually so that they can hunt big game during an extended special BP Season.

Percussion Shotguns are a blast, but they are more of a niche market...so there are only a couple of manufacturers that cover 90% of the market.

An alternative to getting a traditional double barrel would be to consider getting a nice flint smoothbore.

Most people that own a BP gun will own a rifle. Usually so that they can hunt big game during an extended special BP Season.
Percussion Shotguns are a blast, but they are more of a niche market...so there are only a couple of manufacturers that cover 90% of the market.

An alternative to getting a traditional double barrel would be to consider getting a nice flint smoothbore.

I can think of only one current factory maker of a shotgun that is available in the U.S. and that's Pedersoli.

I own and shoot muzzle loading shotguns a lot. What I have found is that it cheaper to find an original in good shootable shape than to buy a new Pedersoli etc. Among my collection, I do have a 20 gauge double made by AMR that I was thinking of parting with sometime down the road pretty cheap. A prior owner added a modern recoil pad on it, but I bought a leather one to put over it so it looked more authentic (even though it is a modern reproduction). PM me if you may be interested. I even have some wads for it as well.

Last edited:
Maybe with the sudden interest in black powder arms now, the guy that owns Henry would produce a few traditional models?

Keep your eye out for used ones, should be able to get a decent one for 500-600 range. Older Navy Arms are good, they were made by Pedersoli. Cva is ok too but not as nice as the Navy Arms.

After looking for 15 years I found a 12 guage s x s Navy Arms (by Pedersoli) at a local auction. It came home with me

I wouldn't even consider a newer one. Old english shotguns can be found on GB and are better quality. Gotta learn what you're looking at though. Been eyeballing a nice double on there this week for $700. I have an antique english single barrel that patterns great...pitted bore and all.

I have seen many original's in antique shop's, an I have bought several of them for between $150.00 & $300.00, and they have just been great shooter's. seems that many years ago they were just put away and not shot when cartridge shot guns came along. all that I have bought I have taken out and shot them. I still hunt with them. I have 16 of them in various gauges. the fit & finish is stellar quality! JMHO!

In the UK you find that there are plenty of originals on the market they were made by many different gunmakers from the top London and Birmingham makers to the provincial makers . You can buy a top makers gun cased with all accessor's which will cost you a four figure sum down to a good provincial maker for a £100 plus which is cheaper than the new repros . To buy a English original in flintlock to percussion you are buying a hand made gun that has never been surpassed they were the best gunmakers of the period in the world whose guns still holds today
Originals in shooting condition handle well shoot better than a modern day repro they were built by craftsmen so if you can buy a English original in shooting condition my advice is buy it it will come up to all expectation and most important if well cared for will not loose its value
Feltwad
A London Maker
100_1291.JPG

Provincial makers
100_2497.JPG

100_1662.JPG
100_1667.JPG

Last edited:
How do they handle the Skychief load with the wet felt wad in front? Will the older Damascus pattern well with this proven method?
Just the same when they were new ,the Skycheif load is not new it was used in that period only difference is the type of ingredients including the wads.
Feltwad

Last edited:
An old British double can pattern just fine, even with a bore that is less than perfect. I stumbled across mine at the local muzzle loader store and made an offer. I thought I was low balling, but it was a consignment gun and the offer was accepted before I could get out the door. I guess we were both happy with the price.

Latest posts

Back