• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a percussion shotgun at a gun show!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am showing a .666 at the muzzle. The barrels at the breech look small to me. I originally thought it must be 16ga, but the marking on the barrels does show 184. maybe 18.4. The sidelocks have the same stamp. The barrels look thin at the muzzle. Though I have a few dents in the barrels, but the muzzle is round, not elongated.

A 3/8 inch shouldered (don't try to use 3/8") deep well socket fits tight fit into the muzzle and it is measured, on the outside shows .664, so my caliper is correct, I did set it zeroed begin measuring.

I checked and the metric system was initiated in France in 1795.

Absolutely! It is a beaut. You have been given good advice about loads. I will just say, if it is choked, loading can be an issue. You will need to experiment a lot to learn how you want to do this. Some will call me a heretic, but if it is choked and was mine I would have the chokes honed out to cylinder bore. That is based on previously owning a choked dbl perc. shotgun. My experience, my opinion.
I will throw in my own 2 cents here, as this is likely mid-19th century, quite possibly before 1860, I would be treating this as a collectors firearm rather than a standard shooter. Beautiful gun to be studied and used as a model for others to build. Love the fish-scale checkering.

I am very new at BP. Just bought this shotgun.

Seems to be a Belgian somewhere near 1810 plus. One of the nipples is badly damaged, but was able to remove it. Love the carving. Interested in shooting it, but never fired a BP gun. I think it was a good buy at $300. Some dents to the barrel, otherwise usable. One of the barrels was plugged by wadding got it out and clean. No charge in it. Apparently it is a 12 ga.

Learning about BP.
Given it’s a Damascus barrel, use a low load maybe 50 grains and make sure it’s FFg not Any finer. Maybe even Fg (cannon powder) will work.
It’s an absolute Beauty.

Seems to be a Belgian somewhere near 1810 plus. One of the nipples is badly damaged, but was able to remove it. Love the carving. Interested in shooting it, but never fired a BP gun. I think it was a good buy at $300. Some dents to the barrel, otherwise usable. One of the barrels was plugged by wadding got it out and clean. No charge in it. Apparently it is a 12 ga.

Learning about BP.
Good buy! Welcome to the sport and hobby.

Learning about BP.
i like that

Back