• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Cap Nipple Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also who made the weapons, have seen instances where the civil war repros. depending on the maker took different sized threads on the cones. you may want to remember these weapons either repro. or original were made to be shot with musket caps, if your having ignition problems you can over bore the flash hole in the cone but DO NOT go very oversized especially if shooting live rounds. Too big and you will get blow back. I have never heard of such a nipple but that does not mean they are not out there. If winged or top hat cap procurement is a problem look on the computer for civil war suttlers most will have them.

Quick search for winged musket caps look up Natchez shooters supply C.C.I -4 wing musket caps 100 to a tin $7.99 the other thing you need to do is compare the original vent on the weapons to a nipple on the sporting weapons there is quite a difference in size and flame channel dimensions. Without knowing your reasoning for the change these are suggestions, and speculation, perhaps you could say why you want to do this there may be options.

O.K. not really sure a 10 or 11 percussion cap would be hot enough to do the job, also as stated the length of the vent compared to a regular nipple may be too short for hammer strike, if you can find what you are looking for. The other option would be take the original vent, chuck it in a drill press(be careful not to mess the threads up) and using a flat metal file slowly remove material from the part of the vent until a regular cap fits, I would make sure that the wall on the vent does not get too thin. There are always variables of danger when specializing this sort of quest. If you decide to do this proceed at your own risks.

There certainly was the barrilium copper 'Ampco 'nipples fitted for musket size guns but took the number 11 cap There might be small nipple to big cap but they where about so should be some still about . I have one in a 451' Military match' rifle threaded 1/4" WW but I put to the number 11 cap to save expense .Might be steel ones . about .I am out of touch don't shoot much percussion .The Military Match was made up using a smaller sized lock rather than the full size Enfield lock & using an old Martini Henry barrel.
Rudyard

I stand corrected as to the ability of #10 or 11 percussion caps doing the job thanks for the information. Good luck on your project.

An
Good question, it's for at 1861, and a 1863 Springfield

An original Springfield would be 5/16-34. Italian reproductions were metric, 8x1.25, and later Italian repros were 5/16-24. The 2 threads are quite close so do not force the nipple, it should screw in easily. If it doesn't you may have a mismatch and could damage your bolster.

You will have no ignition problems with a #11 cap. Many repros (Mississippies & Zouaves) came with a nipple for #11 caps in the patchbox. If you read the descriptions of the nipples in the TOW listings you will see they carry #11 nipples specifically for different muskets so the cone length, thread length and other dimensions will be correct.

See Hawkeye knows this stuff & if its enough to ignite powder it would be all that's expected of a cap . The big top hats are easier to handle but are dearer usually .I once bought four original tins of unflanged top hat size in India they went off alright . There used to be umpteen sized caps but all I've known are the top hat Govt, the 26 cap, & the number 11 ones . Not sure if number 26 are available now I had enough for the few I needed. Besides the 451 I have a 24 bore two grouve and a three winged affair of 50 cal both original much externally rusty but good in the bore .Oh & the Ohio hog rifle of 40 cal only rifled ones with caps . I stay with flints mostly . An old Enfield Volunteer & a 38 cal target rifle I forgot them plus a big Danish' Tige' rifled up piece.
Rudyard

Back