• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missed the lug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noeyebrows

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, manure. I carefully laid out the hole for my ramrod pipe lug and the drill bit had other plans.
IMG_6454.jpeg

This is my first repair for this problem, so I thought I would share how I went about it. Pretty sure I was inspired by Dave Person on how to add some brass back on the lug. I had some scrap brass cut off from some other lug. I filed a keyway into the lug with a three way dovetail file and made a matching piece from the scrap.
IMG_6456.jpeg

IMG_6458.jpeg

I then clamped it with some locking forceps and brushed on some paste flux, applied heat with the torch from underneath and sweated some silver bearing solder through the joint. Cleaned it up with the file and voila, my pipe grew a longer lug! Thats all for now…
IMG_6460.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I just redrill the hole and fill the old one with a toothpick. I don't think I have built a rife so far that didn't have a errant hole plugged somewhere with a toothpick.

The last hole in a lug I plugged I threaded the errant hole and put used solder paste to secure the screw in the hole then filed everything off smooth.

lug plugging.JPG

Ready to re-drill

lug patch cleaned up.JPG

Clean repair. I’ve found it safer to drill till I touch then remove the piece to drill threw the metal. That also shows if I hit the spot I had intended before making the hole.

Well, manure. I carefully laid out the hole for my ramrod pipe lug and the drill bit had other plans.
View attachment 282188
This is my first repair for this problem, so I thought I would share how I went about it. Pretty sure I was inspired by Dave Person on how to add some brass back on the lug. I had some scrap brass cut off from some other lug. I filed a keyway into the lug with a three way dovetail file and made a matching piece from the scrap.
View attachment 282189

View attachment 282191
I then clamped it with some locking forceps and brushed on some paste flux, applied heat with the torch from underneath and sweated some silver bearing solder through the joint. Cleaned it up with the file and voila, my pipe grew a longer lug! Thats all for now…
View attachment 282196
Your fix is very creative and very well done - nice job! Also you don't have to plug the stock and re-drill the hole and maybe get another hole in the wrong place!

Missed the lug… nope, looks like it was shorter than it needed to be for ideal pin location.😉
Very nice work, I will have to keep this trick in mind, never know when it will come in handy.

Latest posts

Back