• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soldering barrel lugs and sight, success!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One tip trick for tinning parts, especially the barrel. Dry clamp your part in place on the barrel and draw a line around it with soap stone (found in the welding section anywhere that sells welding stuff).

Then once you have your line drawn around your part, color the barrel with the soap stone right up to your line and make sure you go all the way around the barrel. Go out to the sides about an inch from your part is enough.

Why the soap stone?

Because solder won't stick to it under any circumstances and clean up is much quicker.

Nothing more aggravating that cleaning solder runs and drips off the part of the barrel that you want to blue or brown. Using the soap stone trick the only place that will tin up is the place where the part sits.

If you don’t have soapstone standard pencil lead will do the same.
You can also use milk of magnesia- just paint it on and allow it to dry fully first.

Hi Walt,
I use very thin steel wire. I don't know the gauge but it is about as thin as the wire you encounter in twist ties. Thin copper wire would also work because the solder flows at about 470 degrees so you won't burn up the wire. I usually use a Mapp gas or propane torch.

dave

Hi,
Nice job. I don't tin the lugs and barrel. I sweat the solder under the base. I simply clean the joints with acetone, flux the barrel and lug, hold the lug in place with wire, and tilt the barrel over a bit to the side so gravity helps the flow of the solder. Then I lay a piece of solder on the top edge of the base and heat from below, drawing the solder toward the heat. Clean-up is easy.
FDySS7b.jpg

tivV7mx.jpg

dave
Awesome! Great tip. Thanks Dave

Back