• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mink Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobarrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received my first tin of mink oil from TOTW and was wondering what is the best way to apply it to patch material? Do you melt some and dip the material and let dry or just rub it into the material as is ?

Just put some in a jar with your patches, then put in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Get them out with a fork and put them on a cheap paper plate to cool. Thats how I do mine, patches come out thoughly saturated. Some folks put them in a ziplock and do the same thing. Plus its less messy than rubbing the lube in by hand.

I've done the melting as mentioned above. Now, it almost seems easier to smear it in to my patches with my fingers. I don't mind the mess. If I did, I'd stick with the microwave.

i just rub the patch across the top of the mink oil, just enough to lube it. if ya get too much on the patch, you can always use the edge of the can to scrape off the excess. :thumbsup:

Same as Cap Smacker, though I transferred some to smaller tins for ease of carry, since I always shoot from my bag.

BTW- That stuff is a dandy leather treatment, too. Keeps leather subtle and is especially good when your gear gets wet then dries a little stiff.

twobarrel said:
Just received my first tin of mink oil from TOTW and was wondering what is the best way to apply it to patch material? Do you melt some and dip the material and let dry or just rub it into the material as is ?

I have used Mink from track with great success I now use elk tallow and marmot oil both are very accurate.
Being a accuracy freek I have relized that consistancy breeds accuracy so I heat my oil slowly over the stove until hot but not burning, I dunk my patch into oil until saturated then I strip my patch through a old towel getting rid of the excess and making all my patches the same.(consistant)
Here is my 45 ready marmot hunting

DSCF5711.jpg

Back