• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to apply patch lube.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wipe my patch, pre- cut or strip, over my Mink and Bear Oil mixture then rub it in with my fingers. Any on my fingers I just wipe on my buckskin rifle bag to add to it's waterproofing and character, or just wipe it on my clothes.
....but then, I used to eat worms as a kid so that's just me.

I cut at the muzzle here's my process.

1. Cut #40 drill cloth to 1.25" strips.
2. Tightly roll the strips and push a pin through to keep em tight.
3. Melt Frontiers bear grease in an Altoids tin or similar. Go for about 3/8 depth.
4. Sit the rolls in the lube and watch it soak up halfway, then flip them over.
5. Remove pin and squeeze out extra lube. As the rolls cool off they will stay together for convenience and no pin pricks when you reach into your bag.

I've used every kind mentioned. But the best for me is to hold a strip of material cut to the correct width in my mouth to saturate it with spit. Take it out of mouth, place over muzzle, start the ball, cut at muzzle and ram the ball down with a firm seat on the powder. Method taught to me by my grandfather, no fumbling with loose patches.
Exactly !!!!! Finally .....

Another shooter gave me a handful of Ox-yoke pre-lubed patches and l liked them, found a recipe for olive oil and beeswax, made my first batch, tried dipping the patch materials in the melted lube, but that was way too much, made a mess on the muzzle when starting a ball. Tried painting the melted lube on patch material with a brush, again it was too much. Tried rubbing the patch on it in a tin, made a mess. Tried dipping and squeezing out the excess, burnt my fingers. The commercially made patches where thin, even distribution, no excess on the muzzle when seating a ball. How do you guys apply the lube to patch material?

View attachment 277328

View attachment 277329
I have a piece of glass I lay strips on (cut with the strips not against of coarse. LOL) and melt some mink oil on the strips. Then I squeegee it off with a plastic squeegee. You can work it from both side and get a nice thin even coat fast and without a mess. Don't think you even have to melt it, solidifies as soon as it hits the patch and still spreads nicely. I then roll them and put in a small plastic container like a film can. Can't find film cans anymore, I get the plastic containers at hobby lobby, get some patch material why your there.
Phil

I just wipe my patch, pre- cut or strip, over my Mink and Bear Oil mixture then rub it in with my fingers. Any on my fingers I just wipe on my buckskin rifle bag to add to it's waterproofing and character, or just wipe it on my clothes.
....but then, I used to eat worms as a kid so that's just me.
🤣

Latest posts

Back