• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex vs. Discriminating General The Same!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They say sarcasm is highest form of wit so I must clearly avoid that at the moment. But that doesn't mean we can't be punny. SOME people just don't have a Seneca of humor.

:rotf:

Ironically, I'm looking at an India-made gun or two at the moment!

:doh:

Well, I don't want any more Cocopah.

I do kind of Hopi you still know how to make some Mojave or some Mohican. That was gooooooood stuff.

Ute can pay me later for piece of Paiute said you liked.

That ought to about do it for now don't you think? :grin:

Did anyone ever ask the OP (Jake in the Lake) if he actually worked for Discriminating General? He seems to have disappeared but he did get them a lot of not as bad as it should have been publicity......

Jake, come on back, we miss your eye for authenticity and your sense of humor.

:rotf:

I wondered the same thing, that he worked for them. It would have been better if he were honest about it. Funny thing is, I looked into it a little and suspect he might be right, at least some of their manufacturers might be the same. The company that someone else mentioned is DG's supplier got bought out by another Indian company, which might explain if DG's stuff has gotten better in the last few years.

Hey Alden,

Saw an original at Fort Niagara at an event there. Had my musket in hand. Looked pretty darn close to me. Course fire chats bounce back and forth on right and wrong. A guy said the Pedersoli bess bayonet look weird cause their barrels are smaller than the originals. Anyhow lots of talk of de-farbing a Pedersoli but not MV/DG. just saying.

One of the guys, Peter ?, who runs DG is the head of 1812 Crown Forces. He's got a good reputation in the hobby. Guess you have to when you got 500 muskets pointing at you. 😉 Maybe he was at a event when you called.

The thing is the hobby dies if no one can afford to get in. You think Civil War would be big if everyone paid 1500.00 for a musket? Nope.

Anyway thought my post would be helpful. Obviously it wasn't. Sorry.

Jake
doesn't the PEDERSOLI'S have a BILLBOARD on the barrel's?

Exactly Dave!

Generations of the great unwashed masses who at least know what the next day, and life, will bring them and their posterity. Uncertainty is the American Man's burden.

And those kids aren't LITERALLY slaves. Jeez! Do you think I'd rather pay a U.S. union worker top dollar and get worse results? I'm glad I can help the impoverished children survive. I will concede they need more corporal punishment at the workbench if quality is to improve though...

:shake:

Now, I'm gonna go buy a hero/hoagie/submarine sandwich with turkey, ham, and Alpine Lace Swiss cheese where BACON, lettuce, and tomato are used as condiments with Russian Dressing for a few US dollars borrowed from China. Deity I love this country!
GOD BLESS THE WEE ONES. they need a life too! and at least they work, nuff said?

Hey Everyone,

There seems to be a lot of people blowin' smoke on some of the forum's threads.

I was at a 1812 re-enactment this month and a group of us did a comparison of 3rd Model Brown Bess Muskets. Guess what?

The muskets offered by Middlesex Village Trading and Discriminating General ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. No diff. Identical.

Someone had a Loyalist bess and it was clunky and completely different from MV and DG.

I am surprised no one has figured this out on the forum. So I phoned a guy at the Discriminating General and he confirmed Middlesex Village Trading uses the SAME manufacturer. Some of muskets are exclusive to MV and some to DG ... and some they share. Go figure.

At the re-enactment there was a gunsmith Les(?) from a company called Lion's Den Arms and Antiques who sold both DG and Loyalist muskets. We got to chatting and I ask him which is better? He said DG hands down...or should I say DG/MV.

So now when I am reading a review for MV or DG I now treat them as the same. I got a DG bess and it has been good to me so far after 4-500 rounds. Sure Pedersoli seems better, but who has 1500.00 to drop on a musket? At the event I would say over half the re-enactors had DG/MV besses.

Maybe someone could call MV to see if they will admit they use the same manufacture as the Discriminating General? My phone bill is gettin brutal.

Jake in the Lake.
😁

Be aware that manufacturers of all sorts of things will build a product to the price point their distributor/customers ask for. Some retailers want better quality and pay extra for the additional time and and better quality control from the manufacturers. Others, not so much, and will take whatever the maker sends to them. I think Dixie Gun Works falls into that second category mentioned above a lot of the time with guns, taking their chances with the more frequent lemons and simply swapping out anything a customer is unhappy with, and eating the cost. Since they price almost everything at full retail, I guess they still come out ahead in the long run.

Be aware that manufacturers of all sorts of things will build a product to the price point their distributor/customers ask for. Some retailers want better quality and pay extra for the additional time and and better quality control from the manufacturers. Others, not so much, and will take whatever the maker sends to them. I think Dixie Gun Works falls into that second category mentioned above a lot of the time with guns, taking their chances with the more frequent lemons and simply swapping out anything a customer is unhappy with, and eating the cost. Since they price almost everything at full retail, I guess they still come out ahead in the long run.
I would not disagree about DGW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back