• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD To Marplot pending funds. Original Rare Jaeger , ready for another century of shooting !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
THIS RARE EARLY ONE OF A KIND JAEGER IS RANGE-READY TO PROVIDE TACK DRIVING ACCURACY.

I've measured the bore specs. & will include the mold, patches & powder charge that I recommend using to start with based on my 60+ years of collecting & shooting experience with original early European & English firearms.

Exceptionally well preserved early rifled .70 cal. Swiss Jaeger signed by Depre' in Geneva, started life as a flintlock & was later expertly converted to percussion.
Features early flintlock era brass hardware with desirable styled wide trigger guard & buttplate.

This Jaeger remains in exceptionally fine shooting condition.
Note; I do not recommend purchase of this fine rifle unless you have a solid background collecting & shooting antique firearms.

It's13 groove rifled fast twist bore remains sharp & bright, the lock remains in tight as new operating condition with double set triggers that will fire set or unset. An example of fine Swiss craftsmanship & shows it has obviously had 200+ years of good caretakers.
The wood on this rifle remains free of any cracks or rot.
Happy to provide more detailed close-up photos to serious buyers.
NOTE; THIS RIFLE'S ORIGINAL FLINTLOCK COULD EASILY BE RE-CONVERTED TO FLINTLOCK.
Some of the lock's internal components resemble those used in Davis' Jeager era flintlocks.
I'm including a new extra Davis mainspring from my old inventory, looks like a drop-in fit if ever needed.

At 81 it's time to find it a new home with another experienced shooter/collector.
This rare Jaeger remains in exceptionally fine original condition with no rust or pitting & a good percentage of faded bluing.

The early period 13 groove rifled bore with one turn in it's 34" swamped barrel remains bright all the way to the breech plug & into the nipple's threaded area..
Rifles I've competed with over the past 60 years with this style of rifling & rate of twist provide consistent groups & long range accuracy with low fouling.
*It's been my experience with large bore rifles featuring this style of rifling & rate of twist rarely require charges above 85 grains of 2F for optimum accuracy & knock down power with less recoil.

Photos show the included original large base nipple to be in perfect condition, I have replaced it with a quality treso nipple to accept the same # 11-12 sized rifle caps.. Note; The nipple threads are musket sized so could convert to use musket caps by replacing the nipple..

Based on my 60+ years of collecting & shooting original English & European firearms, this one of the rarest military styled Jaegers
I've observed.

Fellow Jaeger collector/shooters on the forum will agree it has several unique features indicating it was built as a long range sniper rifle & could possibly have roots to our revolution.
Military features;
-This rifle exhibits exceptionally fine workmanship with just minor nicks & dings.
-The lock in retained by a thumbscrew for rapid cleaning & maintenance.
-The rear sight on this rifle has 3-flip-up blades with exceptionally fine notches & a very thin front sight.
-Typical Jeagers built for hunting feature broader rear sight notches & front sights for hunting in low-light forrest conditions.
-Period research validates only a small percentage of Jaegers constructed for military issue featured bayonet lugs.
SPECIFICATIONS ON THIS .70 CAL. JAEGER ;
-Walnut stock with nice figure.
-Barrel, Swamped 34'' long, .70 cal. with 16 groove rifling with one turn in length of the barrel.
-Weight; Well balanced 7.25lbs.
-Length of pull, 14"
-Overall length of rifle, 49.25"
-Adjustable double-set triggers, will fire set or unset.
-The original flint lock was converted to percussion using the same lock.
-Brass early flint era hardware with desirable wide trigger guard & buttplate.

>Rare opportunity & investment.
Own & shoot a genuine Jaeger for close to the same cost as a custom replica at $2,850 plus actual shipping & insurance cost.
This rifle & it's accessories will be shipped in a factory hard-case that buyer keeps.
Your welcome arrange appointment to view this rifle in person at my home & save shipping.
Interested buyers feel free to contact me personally via the forum, I welcome personal contacts.
I will provide my email & phone number to serious buyers.
Relic shooter
Kuna, Idaho

Attachments

• Swiss Jaeger; bore photo 1 - Copy.jpg
    Swiss Jaeger; bore photo 1 - Copy.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E1792.JPG
    IMG_E1792.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E1793.JPG
    IMG_E1793.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
  • Swiss Jaeger, full leftside view.jpg
    Swiss Jaeger, full leftside view.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo of Swiss Jaeger with forum ID & date.jpg
    Photo of Swiss Jaeger with forum ID & date.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That is one well cared for and preserved rifle, beautiful.
Thanks, sad to part with, hope it's treated as well by it's next caretaker.
If I could turn my bodyclock back a few years it would be back in competition & bringing down big game in Idaho.
Most of us are avid history buffs, hard to describe enjoyment of owning & responsibly using a part of history.
Could be that when it was a flintlock it was used in our 1st revolution by a Hessian on our side ?
Relic shooter

That is a beautiful rifle. What is the purpose of the thumb screw where the top lock bolt is located?
Thank you,
Front part of the lock plate is retained in place by a metal keeper thats inletted into the wood & the inner side of the metal lock plate has a hook that pivots to hold forward portion of the lock in place.
I have quality percussion French pistols that also use the same mechanism.
Zooming-in on this photo should explain it better.
Note; as I recall, what appears to be the 'forward' lock retaining screw actually helps retains the rifle's trigger guard.

More photos;
NOTE; THE 'ABOVE' DETAILED PHOTO OF THE LOCK IS DECEPTIVE, THERE IS ZERO PITTING OR RUST.
I just noticed when zooming-in on the detailed photo that I posted earlier to a forum member's inquiry makes inside of the lock appear rusty.
Rest assured it's just discoloration from age, the metal is smooth & free of pitting.
The decolorization can be removed but I've left it alone.

I should also add that this lock's exceptionally well crafted & tempered components are heavy duty & of course has a fly to enable it to fire with triggers set or unset.
Due to fine workmanship, fit & tempering the lock & double-set triggers remain as tight fitting as new after 200 plus years of use.
Not many current made replicas will be able to make this claim.

PHOTO OF THE MUZZLE & FRONT SIGHT;
The unusually long front sight base was likely made to allow significant drift in high crosswind shots at exceptionally long range shots.
In my personal experiences I've found that large bore rifles like this are not much affected by crosswinds at long range as small bore calibers.
This swamped barrel was hand forged, rifled with 16 precise lands & grooves & proofed well before the age of modern machinery.
In my 60+ years of shooting early original European rifles & pistols with this style of faster twist rifling produces exceptional long range accuracy & groups with limited fouling when properly loaded with the proper lubed PRB combination.
The fact that both the front & rear sights on this rifle are spotted dead center attests to the high quality old school workmanship of Swiss maker Depre' in Geneva Switzerland.
Wish fine firearms like this could tell stories of their past battles & hunting trips.

Attachments

• IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
  • IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you,
Front part of the lock plate is retained in place by a metal keeper thats inletted into the wood & the inner side of the metal lock plate has a hook that pivots to hold forward portion of the lock in place.
I have quality percussion French pistols that also use the same mechanism.
Zooming-in on this photo should explain it better.
Note; as I recall, what appears to be the 'forward' lock retaining screw actually helps retains the rifle's trigger guard.

More photos;
NOTE; THE 'ABOVE' DETAILED PHOTO OF THE LOCK IS DECEPTIVE, THERE IS ZERO PITTING OR RUST.
I just noticed when zooming-in on the detailed photo that I posted earlier to a forum member's inquiry makes inside of the lock appear rusty.
Rest assured it's just discoloration from age, the metal is smooth & free of pitting.
The decolorization can be removed but I've left it alone.

I should also add that this lock's exceptionally well crafted & tempered components are heavy duty & of course has a fly to enable it to fire with triggers set or unset.
Due to fine workmanship, fit & tempering the lock & double-set triggers remain as tight fitting as new after 200 plus years of use.
Not many current made replicas will be able to make this claim.

PHOTO OF THE MUZZLE & FRONT SIGHT;
The unusually long front sight base was likely made to allow significant drift in high crosswind shots at exceptionally long range shots.
In my personal experiences I've found that large bore rifles like this are not much affected by crosswinds at long range as small bore calibers.
This swamped barrel was hand forged, rifled with 16 precise lands & grooves & proofed well before the age of modern machinery.
In my 60+ years of shooting early original European rifles & pistols with this style of faster twist rifling produces exceptional long range accuracy & groups with limited fouling when properly loaded with the proper lubed PRB combination.
The fact that both the front & rear sights on this rifle are spotted dead center attests to the high quality old school workmanship of Swiss maker Depre' in Geneva Switzerland.
Wish fine firearms like this could tell stories of their past battles & hunting trips.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back