• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making your own percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been experimenting with Sharpshooter tool. While it makes functional caps I'm not happy with their rough pleated irregular form. I tried some .005" copper sheet and its not really any different than aluminum. I'm wondering how the real caps are formed into a smooth uniform cup. I tried making a forming die without much success.

Any thoughts on how its done?

The factory cap cups are drawn not formed. Take a disc of copper and force it through a smaller hole, it will come out the other end as a cup with a thick bottom and thinner sides.

So glad I purchased a case of 1,000 CCI caps when I could.

It’d take me a month of sundays to get through them with my Hawken rifle. About 25 shots is an average for me so that’s at least 40 trips to the range for me, several years. Hoping it bides me enough time for the cap makers to restock.
i wish i would have ordered 1,000 cci caps,,all i have is 25,,,ever since the virus started everything is out of stock,,,still looking for caps

Thats what I thought too. I punched out some discs and pushed them through progressively smaller holes. They still folded.

Not through progressively smaller holes;) One shot through a hole just slightly smaller than desired finished size. The punch should be almost the same size as the hole, around .010 smaller or so. you don't want to give the metal any room to fold, you want it to stretch.

Not through progressively smaller holes;) One shot through a hole just slightly smaller than desired finished size. The punch should be almost the same size as the hole, around .010 smaller or so. you don't want to give the metal any room to fold, you want it to stretch.
Yep, tried that also. The punch cut a hole through the bottom. Maybe the edges were too sharp...
Will keep experimenting.

Yep, tried that also. The punch cut a hole through the bottom. Maybe the edges were too sharp...
Will keep experimenting.
Maybe you need to anneal the copper before forming. The rolling process at the factory may have work hardened it some. As for a source of lacquer in small amounts, check the wife's nail polish :thumb:

Yup. Round off the corner of the punch and round the entry to the hole. And yes, do anneal the copper between steps.

Depending on the manufacturing process the punch and die might wiggle too. A wiggle would help massage the metal into place. I don’t know about caps per say, just about manufacturing stuff.

I have heard that the Binder makes an orange gunk on the nipples. Some suggest making your own binder with acetone and Ducco cement.

I have heard that the Binder makes an orange gunk on the nipples. Some suggest making your own binder with acetone and Ducco cement.
I've read through this entire thread and found it very interesting and informative. Couple months ago I started to shop for my first cap and ball revolver, an 1858 Remington replica. I recently found one, a Uberti replica, in stock at Midway. About the same time I started to shop for this gun I learned about the percussion cap shortage and ordered the .22LR cap maker. That was several weeks ago and still haven't received it. If I ever receive it I will certainly try some of the advice given in this thread about doubling up on the can material, etc.

Meanwhile, your post back in March picturing plastic tubing around what appears to be a cap or possibly a primer mounted over a percussion nipple leads me to some questions about which you and other members may have knowledge. Couple weeks ago I saw a youtube.com video about using vinyl tubing to mount a small pistol primer over a percussion nipple. I have tried it and it works great with one big exception. Once the primer is fired after the hammer strike I can't cock my revolver for another shot. It turns out, after much troubleshooting, the hammer needs to fall and rest closer to the frame before the hammer/trigger mechanism can be cocked again. The pistol primer stands off the nipple about 1/16" to perhaps 3/32" too far and prevents my hammer from falling far enough for the hammer mechanics to work. At first I thought the primer was jamming against the frame behind the cylinder(breech face?) and preventing cylinder rotation. In fact the cylinder rotates freely with the primers mounted on the nipples.

So, now I am wondering if I could file down the nipples 1/16" to 3/32" inch and thereby allow the primer to be mounted closer to the chamber and allow the hammer to fall as far as it needs to in order to be cocked again. Of course, like you, I don't want to blow myself up or ruin my gun. Opinions please . Thanks. :)

Maybe you need to anneal the copper before forming. The rolling process at the factory may have work hardened it some. As for a source of lacquer in small amounts, check the wife's nail polish :thumb:
I heard long ago about a thing like a paper hole punch that punched cap cups out of soda cans. you used another punch (in the kit) to punch the snappy bits out of toy roll caps, and inserted them into the cups. I have never seen one, but seems like a thing that should exist for the DIY croud.

I've read through this entire thread and found it very interesting and informative. Couple months ago I started to shop for my first cap and ball revolver, an 1858 Remington replica. I recently found one, a Uberti replica, in stock at Midway. About the same time I started to shop for this gun I learned about the percussion cap shortage and ordered the .22LR cap maker. That was several weeks ago and still haven't received it. If I ever receive it I will certainly try some of the advice given in this thread about doubling up on the can material, etc.

Meanwhile, your post back in March picturing plastic tubing around what appears to be a cap or possibly a primer mounted over a percussion nipple leads me to some questions about which you and other members may have knowledge. Couple weeks ago I saw a youtube.com video about using vinyl tubing to mount a small pistol primer over a percussion nipple. I have tried it and it works great with one big exception. Once the primer is fired after the hammer strike I can't cock my revolver for another shot. It turns out, after much troubleshooting, the hammer needs to fall and rest closer to the frame before the hammer/trigger mechanism can be cocked again. The pistol primer stands off the nipple about 1/16" to perhaps 3/32" too far and prevents my hammer from falling far enough for the hammer mechanics to work. At first I thought the primer was jamming against the frame behind the cylinder(breech face?) and preventing cylinder rotation. In fact the cylinder rotates freely with the primers mounted on the nipples.

So, now I am wondering if I could file down the nipples 1/16" to 3/32" inch and thereby allow the primer to be mounted closer to the chamber and allow the hammer to fall as far as it needs to in order to be cocked again. Of course, like you, I don't want to blow myself up or ruin my gun. Opinions please . Thanks. :)

I wouldn’t file the nipples, just cut the tubing height to be shorter than the cap. It is ok for the cap to stick out. You are only trying to form a seal between the mouth of the cap and the nipple base.

Try using 0.005 brass or copper. You can get it from hobby stores online or some hardware stores. And yeah most places are working through back orders so a month wait is common. I waited 6 weeks for mine.

Back