• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making your own percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sold 500 inert caps on Ebay. It has paid for my capping tool twice over. It took me a good 5 hours to do that many but cheaper than buying them on Gunbroker. The prime-all will do 6 orders of 250 ct caps so the very cheapest caps using aluminum cans you can get 1500 working caps for as little as a 79.00 investment. Mine are more because I am using brass and making a reproduction tin.

Last edited:
Wolf You may be interested in improving the speed of your production. I have adapted my sharpshooter cap maker to a good sized drill press .I use it like a arbor press. I have also modified the cap maker to a reloading press. Of the two ways ,the drill press mounting is likely the better. With that a production rate of 500 to 800 per hour is easy.I could do even more if I wasn't old and slow.

Attachments

• DCP_1051.JPG
    DCP_1051.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DCP_1050.JPG
    DCP_1050.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 117
You know I was just thinking about that. However, I am using brass which is expensive. I have found that I can get 160 caps per sheet if I am exactly precise in my spacing. ( the holes just not touching each other) 8 holes wide by 20 holes long per 4x10 sheet of .005 brass. My concern is without being able to see down the hole I would waste material. But for aluminum cans it would be definitely worth it. My caps are more for decorating display cases then for actual shooting since I don’t shoot much. as well it is illegal for me to sell primed caps...but I do sell them for others to prime them for themselves. I’ve sold a few sets on Ebay. They are mainly to compliment my homemade reproduction cartridge boxes that I also list on Ebay. Mine come with inert cartridges inside.

image.jpg

Keep in mind that the chemical mixture that Sharpshooter-22 sells is confirmed to be corrosive.

I wrote and asked him and he confirmed the mixture makes a corrosive cap, but he declined to tell me what the chemicals included in the kit actually are.

I see that you have the tool inverted for the caps to fall out. That is an ingenious idea. If I can figure out how to regulate precise increments at like caliper precision, it would definitely be worth perusing.

Keep in mind that the chemical mixture that Sharpshooter-22 sells is confirmed to be corrosive.

I wrote and asked him and he confirmed the mixture makes a corrosive cap, but he declined to tell me what the chemicals included in the kit actually are.

likely Sulfur, charcoal, potassium nitrite, and the binder agent which is manure, are amongst them. He is able to sell and ship without hazmat fees because everything is inert until mixed together. So best to make only what you intend to use in a short period. Also better to throw the binder away and make your own unless you like the color orange on your nipples.

I was actually trying to find a way to put several of them together. But nixed the idea due to the circumference of the dye would waste too much material unless you staggered it to offset the increment of the holes. More trouble than it was worth.

After a while you can judge how far to move the metal by seeing the previous hole position outside the the die. Doubling up the pop can I can get 48 cups per can. With a .05 deposit per can ,I can make nearly 10 per penny. That's the worst case.I often get the cans free. Have you tried mounting your die in a board? Maybe a 2x4. Drill a 1" hole for the die and use some cardboard to make the die fit snugly. Only the slit just above the board.You would be less likely to fumble the die and drop it and less trouble in using the punch too. You may be able to cut your brass cost at hobby lobby. I think there role is 12 x30" . Allowing a half inch square per cup that could be 1440 per role Cost could be $20 with tax.
n.h.schmidt

I am toying with an idea and I’d like experienced folks to weigh in on it. I’m thinking of mixing an entire bag of Prime all minus the binder agent, and a 1/10th ratio of powdered aluminum with acetone to store as a liquid primer compound. Measuring the weight of the compound for one cap on a scale with the acetone in it to fill the cap. Then putting it in a syringe and marking the fill line on it. In an air tight bottle it should not evaporate over time. It would make filling the caps a breeze and much safer, and less mess. Then over a few days let them rest and evaporate. Then I would use the acetone/ duco cement mixture to seal them once dry. Then let them dry again. Any thoughts?

You are braver than me. If I were doing this. I would somehow have my 1000-2000 cups all set upright and in rows. Mix your entire batch and keep it in suspension as it will settle out. Go and use it all up in one go. You can use just water to mix everything. I mix using water for my little batches.25 at a time. Evaporates MUCH slower and does not ruin the charge. The only binder I use is after the charge is in the cup and dried out Then the usual binders can be used. Lately I have used two drops of Elmer's white glue in a teaspoon of water. Works just fine and dirt cheap. The acetone and Duco is popular with most.
Archer Thank you . What I showed with the pictures is something anyone can do with a drill press or arbor press. . So far I haven't found a place cheaper than Hobby Lobby for the copper or brass roles.Hobby Lobby's price for the brass role is $13.99 for a 12x 30 SKU:660209. At that price you can make the cups for just under a penny per cup. Not too bad . Pop cans don't look so good but if doubled up work good enough for me.
n.h.schmidt

I have never had to double them up. maybe the metal you are using is two thin?

You can use a single layer. they are rather fragile though. The double layer holds up to higher pressure loads like in a rifle. I also think the stronger cup will allow for more of the charge to get through the nipple. Double layer is easy to do. Take your cut up and flattened pop can. Fold in half the long way. flatten the crease. Even up the other edge and make cap cups. You get a row punched out and trim that off and start again.

Took readings of different soda cans all measure .005" also if one uses brass sheets, which really make great caps, .005 is the size of brass sheets. Using brass there is no need to double up sheets. How does double up on soda can increase charge through nipple One only can put so much primer into cap. :dunno:

Back