• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Making your own percussion caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know I was thinking about using the Duco" cement and a piece of gift tissue paper its super thin and burns fast. Did not think about mixing Duco with acetone.
For what it's worth, I think the acetone would evaporate so fast that it's hardly worth the effort, in MHO.
Good luck.
God bless:
Two Feathers

If applied with a eye dropper bottle, or micro dropper, acetone ducco mixture works great. All it’s for is to hold the powder in by making it moist to compact with a match stick. You can use Alcohol too.

I wouldn’t file the nipples, just cut the tubing height to be shorter than the cap. It is ok for the cap to stick out. You are only trying to form a seal between the mouth of the cap and the nipple base.
I think I know what you are suggesting but maybe I didn't explain my situation well enough. I am not using percussion caps or home made caps or any kind of black powder/muzzleloading cap. I am using Winchester small pistol primers that are used to reload center fire cartridges. Even though I've cut the tubing down so it is well below the top of the primer the primer itself sticks up too high and does not allow the hammer on my Uberti 1858 replica to fall far enough in order to allow the trigger mechanism to recycle and be re-cocked. The additional space I need for the hammer to fall far enough and close enough to the frame is only 1/16" to 3/32". Here is the youtube.com video that I watched that gave me this idea to try:

He demonstrates the firing of the pistol primers using a revolver that appears identical to mine. I will see if I can find a way to contact this fella for his thoughts about my problem Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. I will do a follow up post if i can get this sorted out.

Oh I see, yes I’ve seen his video. I would not recommend using 22 primers. They are far more potent and could potentially weaken your mainspring with the blow back. When fired, your hammer is pushed backwards. I’m no expert but my opinion is that over time it may put stress on it and cause problems. As well folks say never use smokeless powders in a BP revolver due to the high pressure tolerances, I’m not sure if that would also apply to primers. The cap tool from .22 Sharpshooter is pretty easy to use and more economical I would think than purchasing .22 primers. I would be interested to see your solution to the height problem though.

No they are discontinued but they have a new version of it that is used now. I’ll see if I can find the link for you and post it. They also have a Facebook page. It is from .22 Sharpshooter. They run about 69.00 and 19.95 for the primer compound. The compound makes 1500 caps. They are working through a back order so it takes about a month to receive it.

http://22lrreloader.com/
The above is their website. Scroll on the pics to the far right and you will see their #11 cap maker. They have a YouTube video on how to use it. I recommend using 0.005 brass or copper or double up on the aluminum can material as it is stronger. Lots of different ways to make your own compound. Just be sure to do it safely and in small batches.

Oh I see, yes I’ve seen his video. I would not recommend using 22 primers. They are far more potent and could potentially weaken your mainspring with the blow back. When fired, your hammer is pushed backwards. I’m no expert but my opinion is that over time it may put stress on it and cause problems. As well folks say never use smokeless powders in a BP revolver due to the high pressure tolerances, I’m not sure if that would also apply to primers. The cap tool from .22 Sharpshooter is pretty easy to use and more economical I would think than purchasing .22 primers. I would be interested to see your solution to the height problem though.
I understand your concern about smokeless powder but the primers I am trying to use don't have smokeless powder inside them. However, I suspect they may generate more fire than a percussion cap. I wouldn't know for sure because I have not yet had the privilege of firing a real percussion cap in my gun. :(

I found an Email address for the guy who produced the video however I just got a message saying his mailbox is full and my email was rejected. I suspect he has far better things to do with his time than answer thousands of Emails, unfortunately. I sure appreciate your interest in helping, unlike the the guy who suggests using a conversion cylinder. I am well aware of their availability. I already have several .45 Colt single action revolvers and don't need another. ;):)

I got out my old Tap-o-Cap. IT works fine. I need the hole punch to cut out roll caps. The size is 4mm aka 5/32". 3/16 might work...might. Has anyone located a hand held paper punch of that size?

BTW I never glued or sealed anything. I just stuffed the roll caps in the cap shell and used them.

Remington caps will hopefully be back on shelves soon. Their factory is back going. Just stock up. Also, you can buy the
percussion cap ingredients online from different sources.
The formulas are all online. No one knows how far gun
control will go, if manufacturers cannot have immunity
from lawsuits then they might halt cap production since
rarely they split and fly back at damaging speed. Wear
eye protection.

I got out my old Tap-o-Cap. IT works fine. I need the hole punch to cut out roll caps. The size is 4mm aka 5/32". 3/16 might work...might. Has anyone located a hand held paper punch of that size?

BTW I never glued or sealed anything. I just stuffed the roll caps in the cap shell and used them.

Tandy sells the single hole punches. I use the 5/32 to punch out leather campers for a fit to the outside of the cap. It's probably close to a perfect inside fit.

I believe it is a 5/32 punch. But there is an easier method that won’t ignite them if your off a bit. Soak them in water. Peel off the red paper. Scrape the dots off with an exacto knife. Let dry in the caps. No paper to clog your nipples.

Wolfman Has it right about how to use the role caps. Don't worry about water. That will not ruin the dots. It makes it safe. Once they are in the cups and dry a binder is needed or they will fall out. For the revolver six dots will work. For side locks I have used up to 15 dots per cup. Not even half full with 15.
n.h.schmidt

Yeah the tap o cap was a different design and the patent expired on it. It is no longer produced. I have the .22 sharpshooter version. It works well.

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker
CF6C8012-3ABF-44D5-9DED-2474D0835196.png

Back