• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Caps Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you make your own percussion caps can you answer a few questions?
1. Are they corrosive?

Yes, I see rust forming on the nipples after a couple hours on the range

2. If they are corrosive do they cause more wear on the nipples? The rifle nipple not yours.

I don't see any extra wear on the nipples

3. Are they as hot as factory caps?

I've no way to measure them but they make my rifle go 💥BANG💥 so they are hot enough. The noise they make is about the same level as the store bought number 11 caps that they replace

4. Are they reliable if done correctly?

The only problem I've had was when I made them without using glue/acetone to bind them into the cap. The compound fell out of some of those early ones.

LD

I've no way to measure them but they make my rifle go 💥BANG💥 so they are hot enough. The noise they make is about the same level as the store bought number 11 caps that they replace

The only problem I've had was when I made them without using glue/acetone to bind them into the cap. The compound fell out of some of those early ones.

LD

1. Yes
2. Not that I've noticed
3. Hotter
4. Yes

Give it a shot, it's worth it in my opinion.

LD
I suppose if the cap shortage is prolonged and more people make their own we will have an acetone shortage too. It never ends!🤣

1. Yes
2. No if you clean your firearm properly
3. Equal or better depending on what you put in them
4. Yes. I use Duco cement and acetone to bind them and they don't fall apart.

My caveat - making caps for revolvers is a lot more challenging than for rifles. I tried normal beverage cans, single layer didn't work. Double layer worked a lot better but jammed frequently. Next is .005" brass sheet as recommended frequently. I have hopes for it.

I really appreciate making musket caps. Practically the only ones that have been available were CCI reenactor caps. Those are very weak and won't reliably fire my Sharps rifle. The homemade caps are 100% reliable.

Learn to make FH42 mix. Buy your chemicals in bulk, and for about $50 you can make caps for the rest of your life.

Nobade Did you make your own musket cap die? I have started making one but I'm half way done and there it sits. No drive to finish it. Fireworks supply houses are a good way to get the supplies.If you don't already have a die to make percussion caps ,get the 22 reloader die set. It's not perfect but it is the best way forward.

Nobade Did you make your own musket cap die? I have started making one but I'm half way done and there it sits. No drive to finish it. Fireworks supply houses are a good way to get the supplies.If you don't already have a die to make percussion caps ,get the 22 reloader die set. It's not perfect but it is the best way forward.
Yes, I made my own. I just took the design of the #11 one and scaled it up for musket caps. It seems strange that nobody I know of is making one yet.

Potassium Chlorate 47.2%
Antimony Sulfide 30.83%
Sulfur 21.97%
Thanks for listing it. I also add a tiny bit (.2 grains) of pyro aluminum to my mix to basically turn it into a magnum cap, and .2 grains of baking soda to hopefully improve shelf life by neutralizing any potential sulfuric acid formation.
For anybody who wants to do this, keep your batches small. I typically start a batch with 15.6 grains of potassium chlorate so the total pile isn't very big. This loads about 65 #11 caps or 35 musket caps. And when you mix it, use the diaper method where you roll the powders together on a piece of paper, do not mix them together with anything hard. Individually the ingredients are safe but once mixed together they are obviously friction and impact sensitive.

I want to try using the plastic tray for 100 large pistol primers.. Forming the brass cups and then placing them in the small depressions for stability of loading with the priming compounds.
Seems like that should work slick. Also a way to store them once made, rather than dumped in a box or tin.
The writing is on the wall .. We are going to be responsible for our own caps it appears.. Might as well get good at makin em.
the more the pendulum swings in that direction, the less demand and therefore less of a reason for cci etc to make any..and the higher the price if they do. Those who don't make them or know someone who does will pay more if they can find any at all.
I think self sufficiency is a good thing. As a group we are probably more self sufficient that the average bear.

The CCI plastic trays are perfect for that. I use a bamboo shishkebob skewer to pick them up out of the tray and at the same time tamp the mix down, it is the perfect fit.

For those who don't have the primer trays,the plastic 22rf racks that hold 50 or 100 rounds will serve . Glued or taped to a hunk of wood or cardboard they are handy. Just the thing to hold the cups if you spray. I do use the brass but only for the revolvers. The double wall pop cans work well for the rifles. When the brass cost gets to $.02 and more per cup the saving takes a hit. If you are using the powders from the kit, it's already costing $.02 or more per charge. Pretty soon it's $4 to $5 per hundred. Sorry .I like to run the numbers.

When adding the mixture to the cap hull I find myself a bit inconsistent but found that grabbing the cap body with a plastic forceps and dipping it into the mix is a fast way to charge it and there is no spillage. With a little practice I think I can get it down to a science. Also used a micro measuring spoon that holds about the right amount . Im right handed so held the tweezers in the left hand with cup and used my right hand to add compound.. Those 2 methods seemed to stand out . Any other methods out there??

I 3D printed a small tray that holds 30 homemade caps for filling. I use a small pistol primer full of priming mix to fill the caps and then drop a mix of acetone and smokeless powder in each cap to seal them. I don't tamp them down or do anything else and to date they have all went bang except a couple that appeared to not have enough priming mix in them. Primer holder.jpg

Back