• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a wiping stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to make a wiping stick, or wiper. I'm talking about the long wooden rod that is seen in period paintings being carried in the barrel, NOT the ramrod. As I understand it, several period sources reference that the wiping sticks had cloth or leather attached to the end that was stored in the barrel, to provide a tight fit so the stick wouldn't fall out. Does anyone know the period correct way of making a wiper? I guess the mystery part to me is how they attached the cloth or leather to the end of the stick. Tied on? Through a slot? Jag or worm? Small nail?

most would have had a jag for tow as that is what most people cleaned with and the tow wrap would have keep it in the barrel other end large for ball raming if ramrod broke I carry one when going in the woods camping or on a hunt for more then one day just in case a rod brakes on me and it is how I clean my rifles when out hunting or camping

Haha you never know what people will do ive seen some of the craziest things done to machines to make them continue to work! useing a modern jag would be great for quality of cleaning and various other things. Sad thing is many of these origional pieces have been used on other things when the gun was retired or just simply dissapeared. It is truely sad to see history be lost to time.

Mine has a metal tip on one end, threaded to take a tow worm. With some greased tow on it, it will stay right in the barrel.

Rod

Mine has a typical tip with 10-32 female threads to accept a cleanin/rammin jag. Opposite end has a steel furel for strength and then a couple inches below that is a slot with a leather whang tied through it for:

1. so you can see that the rod is in the muzzle before you pull the trigger

2. so that if it gets stuck you can tie it around a sappling and yank it out. The leather is not to hold it in the muzzle or any other reason.

It is made from 1/2" hickory so it is stout. It is 6" longer than the barrel so that it is easy to get hold of. I use it for loading and cleaning. I can put a tow worm on when I choose to.

Back