• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Rod / Wipe Stick Coating?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger94

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am making a range rod/wipe stick. I have from Track of the Wolf a hickory ramrod with the brass tip installed. My question is regarding the coating. I am not interested in coloristics, priority is for protection. I have a small amount of Aqua Fortis (not sure if it will be enough, a few drops left), but I also have from Track of the Wolf, American Walnut stain, as well as Tru Oil, & Boiled Line seed oil.

How should I proceed?

Thanks!!!

Ranger94

Stain to your taste then Tru-Oil. My ram rod has lasted for about 40 years with this treatment. And I clean with it sometimes.

What Phil said,stain it so it matches the gun stock somewhat.Then really rub in a coat of Tru-oil to seal it. One or two coats is plenty or it will just rub off on the thimbles.You probably will want to pin the ramrod ends before you finish the rod,unless Track already did it. Just wipe the manure off the rod after shooting and you are good to go.

Back