• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

magnum load for a 20 gauge shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in both of my 20 gauge smoothbores I load a .595 ball, 90 grains of 2f goex or scheutzen and an overshot card....nothing in betwee powder and ball.

I always put a cushion wad between powder and ball to keep the ball from getting a flat spot or burn strides. If it stays round and smooth it will fly well. For shot, I could do without the cushion wad but always use one for ball.

I built a jug choked turkey 20 bore for a fella some years ago. I patterned it with 1 1/4 of #4's and an equal volume of 2ff. It put all of the shot in a 30" circle at 25 yards. It was a regular turkey guillotine. :ghostly:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant standard loading. The 12 standard is of course more than the standard 20. Still, I've always preferred the 20. No definition it I've reason other that I've never needed more of that elusive oomph. Good shooting.

Thanks Spark and Martin, that tells me the information I was after. A round ball in a smooth-bore is something I have never done. Excited to see what group I can get at 50 and 100 yards.

Unless you count the times of shooting marbles with a plumbers pipe, dynamite fuse and a cherry bomb. The way this country has gone I would be in prison now if we still made black powder bombs to blow fish out of the water like we did in the 50's.

Last edited:
This topic may have been hatched over before, please bear with me. I just made a 12 ga. shotgun. Now I just received the parts for another gun. This one has a 32" straight smooth bore Alex Henry, 20 ga., Rice barrel. My question is using 5 chill what would you say is the maximum shot and powder charge that should be used in this gun.
110 gr. of 3F and an oz. and a 1/4 of shot .

Seventy to 75 grains grains of 3F and a .600 grn patched ball is accurate in my gun and kills deer DRT.

Latest posts

Back