• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

magnum load for a 20 gauge shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This topic may have been hatched over before, please bear with me. I just made a 12 ga. shotgun. Now I just received the parts for another gun. This one has a 32" straight smooth bore Alex Henry, 20 ga., Rice barrel. My question is using 5 chill what would you say is the maximum shot and powder charge that should be used in this gun.

Based on the typical performance of the traditional fowling guns, the question best asked would be, "What is an effective 20 gauge load?" To emphasize @Brokennock's questions, what is the purpose of this load? A so called square load of 65 to 85 grains of 2Fg powder, followed by two to three over shot cards, a load of 75 to 95 grains volume measure of #5 shot, and held in place by an over shot card would be effective for hunting purposes. The lighter side of the loadings for squirrels, rabbits and most wing shot game. The higher end (probably with #4 shot) for turkeys.

Yep, "magnum" loads for a 20 gauge fowling gun is really over loading the gun and is not necessary to be an effective game getting load.

I'll go by 1 1/8 oz of shot. Thanks to all of you. Sorry brocknnock. I looked at a couple of blogs, but couldn't find the answer I wanted.

I have prepackaged loads of 75 grains of Swiss Powder, 1 1/8 oz of shot, and the wads for the 12 ga. and was wondering if I could use the same powder and shot for both. I'll see how it patterns.

Last edited:
I have prepackaged loads of 75 grains of Swiss Powder, 1 1/8 oz of shot, and the wads for the 12 ga. and was wondering if I could use the same powder and shot for both. I'll see how it patterns.
So, your reasoning is to make use of some components you have set up already. Correct?
This makes more sense than the usual magnumitis that is normally behind this question.

Basically what you are describing is my standard turkey loaf, at least as far as volumes of shot amd powder go. I load these volumes in my 20 gauge using the Skychief method.

For everything else I use less. More like a touch over 60 grains of powder and 1oz of shot. Usually #5 for everything.

When I 1st switched to hunting turkey with my flintlock I still had the cartridge gun turkey hunter mentality. I was loading 85 grains 3f powder and a 1 1/2 oz load of #5 shot. Gun was fine with it. Recoil was stout though in a lightweight Fusil des Chase. No need for that though.

.magnum load for a 20 gauge shotgun
When it comes to black powder there isn't one. "Magnum" is a modern powder term, and trying to get anywhere near that amount of lead and muzzle velocity to duplicate the down range results of a modern 20 gauge magnum simply isn't going to work for you.

Better to get a good pattern, and then get the Jake in close to you.

LD

When it comes to black powder there isn't one. "Magnum" is a modern powder term, and trying to get anywhere near that amount of lead and muzzle velocity to duplicate the down range results of a modern 20 gauge magnum simply isn't going to work for you.

Better to get a good pattern, and then get the Jake in close to you.

LD
Are you telling me my blackpowder 20 ga. will not handle 1 1/8 oz 5 chill shot with 70 grains of Swiss Powder?

Weight is what counts not shot size.

I shoot 1 1/8 grains of shot and 70 grains of 2ffg in my 20 gauge. Shooting a ball with the same charge is no problem as it is lighter than the shot load.

If your gun is not safe with 1 brand of powder and not another I would not shoot it at all IMHO

With a new Rice barrel, your gun will be safe with the load you described.

Are you telling me my blackpowder 20 ga. will not handle 1 1/8 oz 5 chill shot with 70 grains of Swiss Powder?
No, your gun will be fine with that. It may or may not be the best patterning load, but it will be safe. What he us telling you is that you won't get that load up to "magnum" 20 gauge shell velocities.
And you don't need to.

I am assuming when you say "chill shot," you are talking chilled lead shot. Steel shot and other non-lead shot is another subject.

No I'm saying to get "magnum" performance you're looking at pushing 1½ - 1⁵⁄₈ ounces of shot of any size, at 1000 fps or more, and that normally still doesn't give you a good pattern from a cylinder bore. The 20 gauge will likely handle 2 oz. and 80 grains of 3Fg, but that doesn't mean you're gaining enough pellets in the critter to justify the stress on the gun nor on your shoulder.

LD

A 12 gauge muzzleloader his about the same oomph as a modern smokeless 20 guage...
Based on what loading? Both run about the same in velocity for a standard load with 12 gauge carrying more shot in a standard loading, same speed more mass = more oomph.

I have the 20 ga. Alex Henry I am past the final rasping point. Before I go to the sanding phase I like to shoot the gun in the blond. Just cuz I want to make sure of no cracking in the stock. I am going to be shooting 70 grains of 2F Swiss Powder, a pillow-ticking .600 patched ball, and three of the white over-shot wads over the powder. I purchased some cushion fiber wads also. Please be patient but here is my question: Should I use the fiber wad between the overshot wads and ball or leave that wad out? I know a lot of you may think it is a dumb question. Just need some thoughts.

I am only interested in shooting the .600 ball at this time.

Latest posts

Back