• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Creative Burst

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Creativity can come and go in the most sudden of manners.
Yesterday afternoon I decided to make a flat horn and started to work on Horn #60. I selected a hum-drum horn from my box of goodies because I wasn't expecting much, just a fun project. It moved right along with few challenges. I really began to like the shape, which initially was rather dull. I just started rasping and filing away at the horn until I arrived at the final shape. I cant even remember stopping but went at it for hours. After finishing shaping the spout, I made the plug and finished scraping and so forth. Then last night I spent a few hours, among other things, to think about how to embellish it with some engraving. Because I really like the spout shape, color and feel, I wanted a simple design, and this morning I got to work. Just some simple lines was all it needed I decided, and here's how it came out.
This was the quickest horn build I have ever done, and I really like it. No planning and no layout, just a spur-of-the-moment project. It may become part of my "day hunt" rig.
I love this stuff :)

Attachments

• Horn 60 w.jpg
    Horn 60 w.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • Horn 60 aa.jpg
    Horn 60 aa.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Horn 60 bb.jpg
    Horn 60 bb.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Horn 60 c.jpg
    Horn 60 c.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Horn 60 d.jpg
    Horn 60 d.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 0
  • Horn 60 e.jpg
    Horn 60 e.jpg
    653 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday afternoon I decided to make a flat horn and started to work on Horn #60. I selected a hum-drum horn from my box of goodies because I wasn't expecting much, just a fun project. It moved right along with few challenges. I really began to like the shape, which initially was rather dull. I just started rasping and filing away at the horn until I arrived at the final shape. I cant even remember stopping but went at it for hours. After finishing shaping the spout, I made the plug and finished scraping and so forth. Then last night I spent a few hours, among other things, to think about how to embellish it with some engraving. Because I really like the spout shape, color and feel, I wanted a simple design, and this morning I got to work. Just some simple lines was all it needed I decided, and here's how it came out.
This was the quickest horn build I have ever done, and I really like it. No planning and no layout, just a spur-of-the-moment project. It may become part of my "day hunt" rig.

I love that. Great job.

I love that. Great job.
Very nicely done.

Great work Bob, I have always appreciated the Philo that less is more. I have a small one used for priming. I as others can be almost stunned but the intricacy of your work. I like it simple - like the horn you completed with simple Amish fraktur art. Well done.

Back