• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1895man

36 Cal.
Reaction score
How do some of you secure your Ramrods more tightly to your Rifles? I have one that is loose, when I point the Barrel Downward the Ramrod falls out. This sounds like a Stupid Question but I would like to know if there are different ideas.
Thanks!
Don

TC and CVA (iirc) use a small leaf spring to secure the ramrod. It is at the stock end of the underrib.

although,as a practical matter, i suspect that Rebel is right, i like the T/C solution of a small leaf spring mounted in an inconspicious place.

good luck!

msw

Depending on the gun, you may be able to get a longer front trigger gaurd screw and keep cutting it back until it just puts a little pressure on the end of the ram rod. I haven't tried this myself, but a friend of mine has done it.

H.Hale

Don,

The simple solution to your problem is to put a piece of string through one of your ramrod ferrules, bring one end of the string out of each end of the ferrule, bring the ends together and tie the ends together in a knot. Then cut the ends off close to the knot. Such a string will be unnoticeable and will keep you ramrod in the ferrules.

Randy Hedden

Harddog would a piece of thin rawhide work? sounds like a simple method to end an age old problem :thumbsup: firelock

Rebel said:
Get a crooked ramrod. The bend helps hold them in.
You can put a crook in a ramrod by just heating it on a fire, bend it, (slightly) and letting it cool. It will hold the shape.
Jeff

Maybe we should trade, I have one that's so tight I have to pull the wedge to get it out. :surrender: Right now, I just shoot the rifle at the range, but someday I'll want to take it hunting. :hmm:

1895, I've used a ram rod spring that slips onto the front lock screw and it pushes against the barrel when ram rod is pushed in, thus holding it in place.
14901394362.jpg

I can make a new one in an hour.

Just order up the parts from TOTW or DGWs and make yourself a new one.

Keep the old one for wall hanging

Wrap a small elastic band around the top of the rod a couple of times just above where it enters the top ferrule, then when you put the rod down the final 1/2" the rod is trapped but not so tight you cant pull it out.

Take a hammer to one of the ferrules to flatten it, just don't flatten it too much! :rotf:

Just as was said before.....buy a ramrod with a slight bend in it. It acts like it's own spring and keeps it in place.

I have one with a tapered rod that was loose, I ended up glueing a small leather strip in a part of the rr channel. Soaked the RR in water and let it dry on its own and between it warping and the leather, it tightened right up.
Ken

Great, simple ideas here. I just thought of another.
Don't take this to the bank, but you might try putting a few drops of water down the RR channel to swell up the hole a little. The reason I think this might work is because I got a RR really, really stuck when I was hunting in the rain about ten years ago. It took my dad on one end, and me with a pair of pliars on the other to get it out. Bill

Is this problem on a T/C ML for sure, if not I will post pics of how I fixed mine with a wine cork....?

Back