• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing tips on wooden ramrods...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measured the I.D. Of the tip. It leaves me with 1/4” of wood to drill through and pin.
pretty small. You could file down a 1/8 pin to a smaller diameter if you can find a drill bit small enough. And I do believe that smaller diameter pins are available from K&S on Ebay.

How about a straight pin used by tailors?

Wow ...some good answers . Way I do it ... I start with a 1/2" hickory ramrod and taper it with a rasp ..When I first start on the small end ...when I get it close to 3/8 or so I use my rough wood file that has a safe side on it ... With it I file the end for the 5/16" brass tip to fit ....I mark the depth inside of tip onto the ramrod ....with safe side at the mark I file around the rod ...fitting to the threaded brass tip as I go . When it slips on then I scratch in the tip , for better grip from epoxy ....mix slow setvepoxy and put tip on , drill the tip and put in a pin and peen both ends of pin ...then I go back to rasping the rod .... I rasp it using a ramrod pipe to gauge it . I lay it on the stock and mark last ramrod pipe . Beyond that mark the ramrod quickly tapered to 1/2" . Tapered ramrods are great for loading . When I get to that mark then I have to try the.rod in the gun ...unusually have to mark the length of the ramrod hole on the rod and take extra off till it'll go in the fore stock .. Then sand it to clean up rasp marks and slide easy down pipes and forearm ....usually takes 2-2.5 hours ... They are a chore but are great and look wonderful .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1680025507405.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680025507405.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
A 1/16 brass rod stock is great for pinning rod tips. Drill a 1/16 hole cross ways through the rod top and wood rod. Counter sink both hole in the tip very slightly. Cut the brass rod so it protrudes about 1/16 on either side of tip. Assemble wood rod and rod tip with application of some epoxy on interior. Insert brass rod through hole and gently peen the brass rod flush on each side to fill the counter sink. File smooth with a small fine file and let epoxy set up. Works great.

A 1/16 brass rod stock is great for pinning rod tips. Drill a 1/16 hole cross ways through the rod top and wood rod. Counter sink both hole in the tip very slightly. Cut the brass rod so it protrudes about 1/16 on either side of tip. Assemble wood rod and rod tip with application of some epoxy on interior. Insert brass rod through hole and gently peen the brass rod flush on each side to fill the counter sink. File smooth with a small fine file and let epoxy set up. Works great.
That’s exactly how I have done it.

Wow ...some good answers . Way I do it ... I start with a 1/2" hickory ramrod and taper it with a rasp ..When I first start on the small end ...when I get it close to 3/8 or so I use my rough wood file that has a safe side on it ... With it I file the end for the 5/16" brass tip to fit ....I mark the depth inside of tip onto the ramrod ....with safe side at the mark I file around the rod ...fitting to the threaded brass tip as I go . When it slips on then I scratch in the tip , for better grip from epoxy ....mix slow setvepoxy and put tip on , drill the tip and put in a pin and peen both ends of pin ...then I go back to rasping the rod .... I rasp it using a ramrod pipe to gauge it . I lay it on the stock and mark last ramrod pipe . Beyond that mark the ramrod quickly tapered to 1/2" . Tapered ramrods are great for loading . When I get to that mark then I have to try the.rod in the gun ...unusually have to mark the length of the ramrod hole on the rod and take extra off till it'll go in the fore stock .. Then sand it to clean up rasp marks and slide easy down pipes and forearm ....usually takes 2-2.5 hours ... They are a chore but are great and look wonderful .
Jim Kibler has a great (how to ) video on ram rod construction

Latest posts

Back