• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loooooooooong range gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll never quit--hope springs eternal and all that stuff.
I really would like to build a Civil War era sniper's rifle around one of these barrels. Maybe with a good underhammer action and period scope mounted on it. Someday.

Tahq....last thing I want is argument so I'm in agreement with you. In this post the talk has been about snipers in war and/or punching paper or busting steel, not shooting game. Regarding my Sharps I'd certainly take a 200 yard shot if I had the time to adjust the sights and a good rest. I have two settings on the sights on my hunting Sharps, 100 and 200 yards. Beyond that I simply wouldn't shoot. Shooting any of my muzzleloaders with conventional open sights and PRB, 100 yards is my absolute max and I'd prefer it at half that. I'm also shooting a 480 gr. bullet which is considerably heavier than a jacketed, saboted pistol bullet and retains quite a bit more energy than the pistol bullets.

Regarding a long range muzzleloader the Whitworth would be hard to beat, from what I understand, if you can find one. From what's been said in this thread evidently they've become hard to find. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's there were numerous makers of fine long range muzzleloaders. Wesson and Brockway are two that come to mind. If one was so inclined I believe you could find a maker to duplicate one of their rifles complete with false muzzle with cross patch and cutter. I doubt it would be cheap tho. As many of those as there were out there I'd think an original could be found but again it wouldn't be cheap I'm sure. Those old guys did some incredible work all the way out to 1000 yards. This is a discipline of muzzleloading that is conspicuous by it's absence on virtually all ML forums. I wonder where all those old rifles are and where the interest in them is?

Vic

I've been looking at the Pedersoli Tyron catalog.

Navy Arms has Parker-Hale Whitworth and Volunteer rifles, .451 that looks interesting.

I need to find and get to a shop where I can get my grubbies on these and other style rifles.

Catalog's only go so far as to get me to want to physically look at something. I never invest in weapons without seeing/handling first hand.

Tahq........
Check out the website www.lrml.org it is all about
long range muzzleloading . these guys do all their shooting at ranges up to 1000 yds . hold regular matches .
Joe.

Thanks Joe!

I'm fairly familiar with the LRMLA from their info on the website.
In fact that's where and what has sparked most of my interest in long range target shooting.

I just don't have an ML that is geared towards tossing somthing out to 500+ yards with any degree of accuracy.

:peace:

You could do a lot worse than get a Pedersoli Gibbs, the rifles are winning at major long distance shoots.

The Gibb's looks like an excellent long range ML.

Quite a bit more coin than I'd like to invest to start with though.

Hey Joe...thanks for posting that. I was unaware such a sight existed or that guys were still shooting those.

Vic

Vic, I forgot to ask you in my last PM if you got the address I sent for Research Press. It also covers long range shooting in the UK including the Wimbledon Matches. I've not had the time to look through all of it. If I remember right, I found it through that Long Range Muzzleloading site that Joe mentioned. You can go directly to it by typing http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.htm
You guys have really given me the bug to get that Whitworth out to the range. as soon as I finish that new swage I'm on my way.
:hmm:

RusT,

Here is a link to the Parker-Hale Limited website. It appears that .451 Whitworth Barrels are still being made. No pricing, no email - just a phone # and address.

Jimbo

Not trying to start a fistfight, as also a modern ML shooter, I often wonder why the Modern ML's catch so much flak for shooting so far and accurate at a measly 200 yards? :hmm:

I'm looking at getting into a long range perc rifle for target fun. I have enough room for a 500 yard range setup.

Any recommendations as to a long range rifle make and model?
pedersoli makes a 45/120 sharps target rifle with creedmore sights for around $1300.00 but brass is expensive .around $5.00 a piece :shocking: :shocking:

Regarding a long range muzzleloader the Whitworth would be hard to beat

Whitworth set the standard but were later bettered by Metford and Rigby muzzle loading match rifles. These were all used in NRA(GB) long range match shooting. The Irish riflemen to Creedmoor used Rigby match rifles. the later Scottish and British team to visit used Gibbs-Metfords or Rigby's. The Whitworth was bettered by these rifles by the late 1860's.

David

Here in the UK we shoot muzzle loaders out to 1000 yards and on occassions to 1100 and 1200 yards. For 'serious' long range THE match to win is the Long Range Rifles Branch of the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain 'Metford Trophy'. This is an aggregate match with 15 shots at each distance; 1000, 1100 and 1200 yards.

The next world championships will be held at Bisely in the UK this year. For info see www.mlagb.com/bisley2005

David

www.lrml.org

David ,
Just out of curiosity, what would you say are some of the
"average" group sizes at 1000 yds.and how many shots would they be composed of . I have been over on the lrml site for about a year , keep looking for info to eventually build a gun. NOt for anything serious , just something to
experiment with, and i was always curioius about the groups you guys were getting ...
Thanks
Joe.

Yep, the Whitworths were bested by the "forced" bullet of the Metford rifles. The Whitworths began dissappearing from the range in the early 1870s.

I suppose an average group size would be holding shots in the 3 ring of the standard target used in International matches, and that is 72" diameter. (Not Bull scores 5).

David

David,
Where is to be found written info, descriptions, regarding different models of Rigbys matchrifles?
Regards,
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Information is scattered and I am not aware of a book covering Rigby match rifles. See if you can find the following "British Small-Bore Rifles - The 451 Muzzleloaders - DeWitt Bailey II. Gun Digest, USA, 1973." This is an excellent article on match rifles.

'The Target Rifle in Australia' also has detailed descriptions of match rifles. Have a look at the resource list on my web site which will give you a tantalising list of books and articles on the subject.

http://www.lrml.org/resources/index.htm

Anyone who can add further relevant documents, I would like to know if possible. Thanks,

David

Back