• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Pa..............As for the Big Bore Question , make sure the muzzle crown is not sharp. Just recrowned a brand new one that had such a bad sharp crown , it couldn't be loaded with any type projectile. Recrown fixed it.
Being new to this I don’t even know what recrowning is lol. Can you elaborate?

Once you figure it out, I believe you'll get the most enjoyment from shooting patched round balls. 58 caliber round ball will really pound an elk!

If your bore is good and you're accuracy suffers, it's almost always the patch.
Locate your fired patches, and if they're blown to shreds that's why your accuracy is suffering.

Pillow ticking and a short starter is your friend. 015" is what I use in everything. But measuring patch thickness is something of an art not science. So it's the thickest ticking Joanne sells.
I can shoot anything from 45 grains all the way to 120gr from my 58 Cal with lead round balls. Wheel weights don't work with heavy charges because the ball won't obturate so it blows a patch every time... even with a really thick over powder wad.

I use an Napa (water soluble) cutting oil+distilled water on my patches and can shoot for hours without wiping or cleaning.

Folks seem to love to parrot the phrase "you gotta find what your gun likes"...Silly. My rifles "like" to be pointed at the target when they go off. And if the patch holds, they hit every time. Doesn't matter brand, type, or amount of powder... (except don't expect too much from Pyrodex).

Go look at the boys that shoot our monthly postal matches and see what they have to say/use, cuz they actually burn powder every month.

Many of the replies you'll get here are from folks that ought to dust off that can of gunpowder they bought back in 1978 and go shoot something, or from guys that have it all figured out from reading and posting here....not burning powder.

What part of Montana are you in? You might be close enough to attend one of our Club hunting matches.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/bridger-mountain-men-shoot.151978/

Last edited:
Once you figure it out, I believe you'll get the most enjoyment from shooting patched round balls. 58 caliber round ball will really pound an elk!

If your bore is good and you're accuracy suffers, it's almost always the patch.
Locate your fired patches, and if they're blown to shreds that's why your accuracy is suffering.

Pillow ticking and a short starter is your friend. 015" is what I use in everything. But measuring patch thickness is something of an art not science. So it's the thickest ticking Joanne sells.
I can shoot anything from 45 grains all the way to 120gr from my 58 Cal with lead round balls. Wheel weights don't work with heavy charges because the ball won't obturate so it blows a patch every time... even with a really thick over powder wad.

I use an Napa (water soluble) cutting oil+distilled water on my patches and can shoot for hours without wiping or cleaning.

Folks seem to love to parrot the phrase "you gotta find what your gun likes"...Silly. My rifles "like" to be pointed at the target when they go off. And if the patch holds, they hit every time. Doesn't matter brand, type, or amount of powder... (except don't expect too much from Pyrodex).

Go look at the boys that shoot our monthly postal matches and see what they have to say/use, cuz they actually burn powder every month.

Many of the replies you'll get here are from folks that ought to dust off that can of gunpowder they bought back in 1978 and go shoot something, or from guys that have it all figured out from reading and posting here....not burning powder.

What part of Montana are you in? You might be close enough to attend one of our Club hunting matches.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/bridger-mountain-men-shoot.151978/
I’m up in Libby. So you think I should not be using pyrodex?

I’m up in Libby. So you think I should not be using pyrodex?
I think you have a real nice Mountain Man Club up there. They shoot someplace around the Flathead area I think, you ought to look them up. Lots of fun shooting with a club every month! Sure helps you to hone your skills and get ready for the hunting season.

Pyrodex just adds another challenging variable.. but lots of folks use it. If you really get into muzzleloading nothing beats real black powder.

Latest posts

Back