• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at getting ahold of a squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotomacRanger

32 Cal
Reaction score
I want to get a rifle for small game preferrably flintlock. That being said I see their are mainly two calibers people are using that being .32 and .36 caliber. Does anyone prefer one over the other ?
Local gunshop by me has a .32 Caliber Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Flintlock Rifle and a .36 caliber Green Mountain Flintlock barrel made for a Thompson Center Hawken (just the barrel and ramrod). I dont have a Thompson Center so I would have to get a stock, action and other various parts unless I just buy a flintlock Hawken Thompson Center rifle. Anyone got any opinions to share on which one would be better. The DGW TN rifle has a 41" barrel and the .36 is a 28" barrel.

If you can swing it, that Dixie is a great rifle. Have you looked at the Investarm Santa Fe rifle? It’s a 36.

If you can swing it, that Dixie is a great rifle. Have you looked at the Investarm Santa Fe rifle? It’s a 36.
Is it better quality than a Thompson Center ? I was figuring on buying a Hawken Flintlock and just swapping barrels. However the rifle is only $300 more than just the one barrel I am lookin at. Also is there any benefit to that long barrel on the Dixie compared to a short one ? I would think the shorter barrel would be better.

I have TC and Investarm rifles, they are good guns. The TC do have better fit and finish. They all shoot great. I think the barrel length is personal preference. I just finished building my flintlock, it has a 36” barrel and I don’t mind it. All my other ML are 32” and under. For me it’s how the gun fits me.

CVA .36 Squirrel rifle 24" barrel

Attachments

• 20230821_084724_resized.jpg
    20230821_084724_resized.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230821_084706.jpg
    20230821_084706.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I like .32’s which I consider the muzzlleloading equivalent of the .22 rimfire. Some people complain that they foul faster or that the small balls are difficult to hold but those things are easily managed with occasional swabbing and a loading block. I had a .36 Cherokee and have a .36 Seneca but I didn’t/don’t use them.

Last edited:
Dixie gun works Tennessee Mountain rifles in flintlock have two negatives.

One, the frizzens on some of them do not spark very well, this can be fixed if you know how or know someone who knows how.

Two, they are muzzle heavy especially in .32 caliber, to muzzle heavy for me, I would shorten it.

I am not a Thompson Center fan, the DGW TMR is a better looking gun, I would get the Kibler SMR.

By no means am a master at muzzleloaders and have mostly shot a 3 band Enfield most of my life. But if you are mechanically inclined, or a wood worker and have a little patience you can get a Kibler SMR and you'll have a fine squirrel gun. It only takes about 2-3 days to put one together. I have 3 32 caliber rifles, 1 percussion and 2 flintlocks and I enjoy shooting them all.

$900 cash price $1200 CC the store owner says its unfired the T/C barrel is only $350 also unfired in original Green Mountain box.
Lordy have mercy, for that price you had best run. They sold new around $290 back when they came out. For a touch more you can get a quality kit from Kibler

Latest posts

Back